Monday, September 1, 2008

Blast From The Past

This weekend Lance and I took a trip to Newberry and Union, SC which were the first two areas of his mission seven years ago. We visited several families that Lance taught and were close with, it was so neat for me to meet these people that changed Lance's life. To us, this is what the south is all about. When we first got into Newberry we took the missionaries out to lunch and had an awesome conversation about all the members still around. When we dropped them off at their apartment they showed us the toaster. This was a toaster given to Lance when he was a missionary in Newberry and seven years later, the missionaries still use it.

The first was Ms. Margarett Brackett. Here I learned the true meaning of southern hospitality. Lance and I had eaten lunch right before we got to her house and of course she offered us some lemonade and a snack. When she wasn't looking I poured my lemonade into Lance's glass because I was so full from lunch and couldn't eat another morsel of food. She looked at me and said, "Now you know I aint gonna letcha get to the bottom o that glass, here have smore!" She's an older lady who's mind is as sharp as a two edged sword, is very involved in politics, hosts her own radio show, and is a absolute animal lover. When Lance served in Newberry, Ms. Brackett's dog died and knowing that Lance previously worked in the funeral industry was asked to direct the funeral for her dog. There were about 30 people that showed to pay their respects. The next dog Ms. Brackett owned was named Lancer after the thoughtful funeral director.

Lancer and Lance

We briefly visited the Nelson's whom I'd previously met in the Columbia temple.

These are the Major's - Gail, Paul, and John who cooked us a true southern supper with barbecue pork, hash, and a delicious blueberry cobbler. Their son John goes to school at BYU-I and told us how a "barbecue" out west is nothing more than hot dogs and hamburgers cooked on a grill. In the south a true "barbecue" is a pig roasted in a hickory smoked fire pit. That made me laugh because its so true.

Sunday we drove to Union which is a tiny town of about 9,000 residents where we went to church. I have heard numerous stories of Union and I was especially anticipating going to church there. (Union is now closed to the mission due to it's difficulty). As we arrived at church I could not stop laughing, they have the smallest church building I've ever seen in my life! It was just so little and tiny, it was so funny to me. RS and Priesthood were first and Sacrament Meeting was last. There were 6 sisters in Relief Society including myself and about 20 in attendance for Sacrament Meeting. The sacrament table was a regular small table used in the classroom with only two trays for the bread and water. I was amazed that the passing of it only took about 30 seconds and I'll admit it was the longest three hours of my life. The teachers and speakers were great but not moving from room to room and having a chance to stand and walk around every now and then gave me the wiggles. (I should have gone to primary so I could sing all the actions songs). It was definitely an experience to say the least.

This is Frankie and Jack, aka the Union Bomber. He has the most phenomenal supply of illegal fireworks (or bombs, which ever you want to call it) we've ever seen and even gave us several rockets and whistling missiles as a parting gift. He makes the best Philly cheese steak sandwiches we've ever eaten!

Union has TONS of kudzu everywhere and even though I probably wouldn't like it on my property because it takes over everything, I think its so pretty.


1 comment:

*LaUrA* said...

What a cute little church! I have never seen one so small...although ours in Senatobia, Ms is pretty small...but we are getting an addition adding on which will give us some much needed room! You guys are having some fun adventures...keep doing that before the kiddos come...true you can take kids wherever you go...but there just isn't the same freedom. I love to hear what you guys are up to!