Wednesday, September 26, 2018

The Miracles Continue

This girl is one of miracles. She fell asleep sitting up while reading If You Give A Mouse A Cookie and it was just so sweet. I really wanted to capture this whole day.

She had her evaluation for her IEP to see if she'd qualify for special ed preschool. We were supposed to be there for 2 hours but Cora was extremely shy and wouldn't look at anybody no less cooperate with testing and play their "games." It finally dawned on me that food is a big motivator for her so one of the therapists gave her an M&M for every question that she answered. She didn't do it happily, she didn't look them in the eye, she wouldn't sit at the table, but at least she answered the question. Progress. We took a break and she found a huge bean bag to play on which brought out some smiles and she slowly started talking to some of the therapists. Our appointment lasted an additional 1.5 hours because she finally opened up towards the end.

The results? She's too advanced to qualify for special ed preschool!! I was shocked that she didn't qualify in any area, not even speech.........what???

I cried the ugly cry all day long. It has been 5 years of fighting and playing catch up and lots and LOTS of hard work. My goal for her from the very beginning was that she'd catch up to her peers by the time she hit kindergarten. WE DID IT!!!!!!!! We got the green light that she wouldn't need an IEP for kindergarten next year, she can register like all the other normal kids. I have been with her every step of the way being her biggest cheerleader and supporter. We've had a lot of set backs and a lot of goals met along the way of this journey but we made it!

Having said that, I'm a little bit sad because I still want to keep her engaged and challenged so I've decided to continue with private speech and to enroll her in a dance class as a sort of substitute for physical therapy. The academic stuff I will do at home. I'm also excited because this is her last year at home with me and we get to be together more!

Every time I see miracles like this I'm so humbled by the Lord's sweet, tender mercies. The Lord has helped me to help her. He's guided and inspired me beyond my normal capacity and in ways that are abnormal. I'm so truly grateful and so honored to be this little darling's mother. She has blessed me so!

No comments: