Sunday, November 6, 2011

Easy As Pie

Because I'm so intolerant to pain I had planned on being down for at least 6 weeks after the c-section in writhing, uncomfortable pain. Turns out, recovery has been a breeze and I was right about one thing: nursing is far more painful than the surgery. I'm talking sharp, excruciating pain. That's all I'm going to say about that.

I was up and walking in no time at the hospital and because the NICU was a little jaunt down several hallways from my room, it made for good exercise and movement. Two things that made a huge difference for me was staying on top of the pain meds and being as prepared and informed as I could. I was given a book called The Essential C-Section Guide which goes through every aspect of the surgery and recovery, which I highly recommend reading if you have to have the surgery. Because of this I knew exactly what to expect and what was going on.

The pain hasn't been bad at all; not directly after the surgery, not recovering in my hospital room, and not at all since I've been home from the hospital. Staying on top of the pain meds was key and has made recovery a breeze. I'm talking easy as pie. They say no lifting anything heavier than the baby, no housework especially vacuuming, just rest. This wasn't an issue in my case because I recovered so quickly and it has been so nice! I know I haven't experienced regular labor, but for those that have fears of c-sections, I would do it again in a heartbeat over regular labor.

1 comment:

MarshandKrissy said...

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!!! I really don't think VBAC is even going to be a thought for me. I loved my C-section!!! LOVED it!!! Recovery was amazing! So glad you feel the same way--I was worried that after I told you it would be amazing, you would have an awful recovery and just hate it and me! LOL