Monday, January 11, 2010

This is Why I go to Church

Last week we heard some news which is a set back for Lance's school. (Long story short, he'll have to do more schooling before he's licensed. I had it in my mind that he'll be done this year but that's no longer the case). I was devastated when I heard it. I don't know why it affected me so much but it just crushed me and I felt like burying myself in a hole. I was in tears and I was beyond ready to throw in the towel.

Yesterday in sacrament meeting Michelle gave a wonderful talk in which she gave a few analogies. The second analogy I definitely needed to hear and this is it (paraphrasing):

I have children. When I count them I have 6. All 6 children have needs. Everyday at 5pm when I'm trying to fix dinner all 6 of my kids tell me each of their needs. I cannot fulfill all of them at that point in time and so I hear complaints and whining, "You never have time for me, you don't love me, you never pay attention to what I'm saying, you love her more than me!" And then I think that each of these children live in a loving home with a roof over their heads. Each of these children have clothes folded nicely in their drawers. Each of these children have dinner to eat at some point between 6 and 9pm. They have a lot of blessings and their basic needs have been met. It's the same with each of us as children of our Heavenly Father. When we pray we tell Him all of our needs and sometimes it might feel like He loves our neighbor more than us or he doesn't listen to what we are saying. But in reality, we need to open our eyes and hearts and realize all the blessings he has given us and all the needs and prayers that He has answered.

After I heard and processed that analogy a few minutes, my heart sank. I felt so blessed and happy! We may have had a set back with Lance's schooling, but at least he's in the program. We may not have an apprenticeship yet, but at least his boss is trying to pull every string imaginable and is working both with the corporation and the state to get Lance licensed. I'm so thankful for Lance's boss, Trent, who has been so good to us. I'm so thankful that Lance is in school and even though it'll be longer than expected before Lance will be licensed, at least we're working toward that goal and each step we take brings us a little closer to the finish line. Thank you so much Michelle for softening my heart and helping me realize what I have right in front of me.

No comments: