Sunday, October 17, 2010

Afternoon Outing With Charity

Here's the bus pulling up to the stop at the Library.
Charity waiting to cross. The sun is always in her eyes so she cups her little hands around them to see who's picking her up and to see the bus driver wave her across.
What a cutie. Love her little hillbilly toothless grin!

I love this little girl. She wanted to help out with Grandma's 50th birthday so I picked her up from the bus stop. Since she had hot lunch that day she was a little hungry and needed a snack, I figured any fast food place had ice cream cones. Not so. Avoiding back tracking I stayed at the end of town I was at and stopped at Jack in the Box. Charity got a strawberry milk shake with whip cream and a drizzle of chocolate, smart girl! We both shared that and she must have been starving because she downed that thing real quick. She had $1 in her backpack and I had some spare change in the car because I knew she'd want to buy something. Which is quite funny because the first thing she told me was, "My mom told me not to ask you to buy anything for me." Ha! I knew better than that so I was prepared with coins which she was delighted about.

I learned so much from her and we had sweet conversations. When we got to the bank she was given a sucker and then whispered in my ear, "Do you think I could have two more suckers so I can take them home to my brothers?" After getting in the car I told her she could rip into those suckers and start eating them to which she replied, "I don't think so, because when I get home it wouldn't be fair to the boys if I ate mine already." At each store we went into she wanted to buy something so I tried to teach her what prices meant and how much money she had. It was so funny, as she was paying for a little craft at Michaels with her $1, the cashier gave her change back and you should have seen how big Charity's eyes got. "You mean all that is mine?" She couldn't leave without buying a little something for her brothers. No matter what she said, it was Devin this or Quentin that. She kept saying over and over how much she loved her brothers and couldn't wait to go home to give her mom and dad a huge hug and kiss. It was so sweet and I enjoyed our afternoon together!

No comments: