Thursday, October 14, 2010

Winterizing, Skulls, and Projects

I haven't had anything to blog about lately, nothing new is going on just the day to day routine. Midterms are next week for Lance. Work has been slow for him (I could say work has been dead for him, but you don't realize how many mortician jokes we get on a daily basis. And all of them we've heard a million times). We've been slowly but surely winterizing the yard. I cleaned out the flower beds this past weekend and the pruning has already been done. Just a few things left and we'll call it good. I really wish we could take out the huge pine trees in the backyard that line the fence. They offer great privacy from the library parking lot but those needles are nonstop and I'm sick of raking them up.

We're getting ready for our Halloween party. Lance found the last few pieces of clothing needed for his costume and we're frantically gathering decorations. The second living room we're transforming into a spook alley which we're so excited about but there's lots of work to be done! Halloween decor is way over priced. I mean, for a plastic skull and a cloth body stores want $50 for it. Sheesh! This is where craigslist and the DI comes in handy.

I'm redoing a few pieces of furniture to transform my "studio" into an actual studio. I've never taken on a project like this so it's been an awesome adventure and I've learned so many things. One thing I've learned is that I love tools of any kind and I especially love it when I know how to use them. :) ("Know" being the key word there!) Last year Santa gave us a sander and by us I mean I bought the sander, slapped both our names on the tag, and I predominantly use it. (By the way, I love being Santa, it's great!) The second thing I learned is how to use glaze and antique a piece of furniture. By the way, love Sherwin Williams, they took all my coupons and I got tons of paint and glaze all for a whopping $8! I've finished painting, sanding, and antiquing the cabinet. Now I'm going to decoupage the back of the inside of the cabinet with scrapbook paper, and create a stencil with my cricut for the front of the two doors. It'll probably look nothing like I'm picturing it in my head but I've got to put the last few steps on hold while we get ready for Halloween. The dresser won't be nearly as much work and I'm hoping to have that done by Tuesday. Eventually I'll take down the two large pictures and replace those with a few shelves and other accessories. Two years ago I bought some wood and a magnetic sheet to make a creative board out of so when I come up with ideas, I can post the sketches up there or any other inspiring ideas. Yeah, that's been in storage for a while but maybe before Christmas I'll actually get around to finishing the studio. I can't wait but I've been having a blast working on it!

No comments: