Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Escrow?

As a child and even as an adult I fantasised about what my first house might look like. Mine was a cute cottage with a white picket fence and beautiful, bright tulips and daisies surrounding everything. I had a little mailbox just down the side walk to the fence and the most lovely neighbors I had ever met. Inside was a quaint little kitchen that was so cute with a large pantry that smelled like fresh cookies. I had hardwood floors and a white fluffy area rug in the little living room by the fireplace. Just big enough for me but small enough it was cozy and it was home.

Now that we are finished with school, the thought of a house has been on our minds. We toyed with it a little bit, looked at a few houses here and there and decided we'd wait a year so we could save up money. But what I wasn't expecting was putting an offer on a house just 2 weeks after starting to look at houses. It's all happening so fast!

The whole process is scary: choosing a realtor, deciding what we want in a house, what amount are we pre-qualified for, getting an appraisal, getting an inspection, what are closing costs, what is a title and does escrow mean a female crow in spanish? Can someone please dumb-down all these mortgage terms? These are things grown ups deal with. But now that we are in the process I feel more grown up and it's a little scary. Ok maybe a lot scary.

I'm quite nervous.

We put an offer on a house last night. It took 3 hours because it's bank owned and the bank had it's own novel of an addendum in addition to the paperwork our realtor had. Scary. I started getting dyslexic with my initials half way through. We shall see what happens.

But this week is SPRING BREAK and we are headed to Sun Valley!

3 comments:

Christine said...

Haha, Becky you crack me up! I'm excited to see this house of yours in a few weeks. Good luck!!

Melea said...

I'm laughing as I read this because it's like you're typing out my thoughts from a couple of months ago... I was (and still kind of am) certain that buying a house is WAY too grown-up for me. As my friend said, "Buying a house can make you feel like an adult and a 5 yr old all at the same time!"

Anonymous said...

This is where we are at and renting just seems so much easier. I guess once you have gone through the process it will get easier the next time you buy a house. I can't believe you found something that fast! We have been looking forever, of course we don't actually live in Anchorage yet so that makes it hard. All the lingo and signing and stuff! Makes me want to crap my pants! For now I think we decided to keep saving and renting. Boo. Let me know how it goes so I can avoid anything I need to. And ya, what is up with mortgage insurance!