Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Dance Class

Since Cora didn't qualify for the special education preschool in our district, I still wanted to keep her challenged and engaged this year. She's continuing on with speech and occupational therapy down at Milestones, and since they don't offer physical therapy I decided to put Cora into a dance class. There are still some major differences in gross motor skills with other children her age and I didn't want her to fall behind.

A friend recommended Inspirations Dance Studio and as I called to get more information I learned the class is only $40 per month. Score! Her class is with two other boys that are brothers and one of them is partially blind. The first week all the kids and I went into class with her, Cora wouldn't look up at the teacher, would not participate, and even sat to the side crying, 0% participation. I was really disappointed but not too surprised with it being a new environment and all new people. I told myself I'll give her 4 weeks as a good trial run and if she still hates it then we can quit. The second week Cora held my hand for a few minutes as I did the moves with the class, 5% participation. The third week I forced Cora to do the obstacle course (walk on low balance beam, jump between cones, jump on small trampoline, etc) and she would do it if I held her hand, 25% participation. But the fourth week was golden and Cora went into class all by herself and loved every minute. Success!

Dance is now one of her favorite things to do, she's always dancing in the car or kitchen or during quiet time to a show. Her teacher said she listens extremely well and picks up on the steps really, really fast. I've noticed a difference in her motor skills as well, Cora can now skip properly! Her jumping and leaping is better, her moving all around is more fluid and solid. She has more confidence with balance and her body, this has definitely been a good decision! Her right leg is still quite a bit weaker than her left but as I discuss things with her teacher, Janet, she incorporates different moves into the routine to specifically target those areas to strengthen Cora. 



No comments: