Sunday, October 6, 2019

First Day of School!

The kids were very eager for school to start and I was very sad. I love summer time so much and didn't want it to end but the kids were ready and it was time. Kimball started 2nd grade with Mrs. Garcia and Cora started Kindergarten with Mrs. Flaherty. 

I think I documented before about how Cora and I had been taking two trips a week to her school to get her acclimated. Well, summer is a big 3 month gap and she was nervous again to go. We went to the kindergarten assessment and she wouldn't go into the classroom without me so we all went in together and the teacher quickly shooed us out. I was so grateful for that, and I went to have a meeting with the principal. After they were finished we met up in the cafeteria where school photos were taken, lunch and transportation arrangements were made, and a few other booths were set up. When Cora joined us the teacher said she did great and Cora's job was to hold onto a puppy called Special and bring him back during their next meeting.

I emailed the teacher and told her of Cora's situation and the concerns I had. We set up a time for her to meet with Cora one-on-one to establish a relationship. Then there was meet-the-teacher night. So we had 3 meetings before school started.

The night before school, Lance gave all the kids a father's blessing (and myself). I was very much looking forward to this because the amount of anxiety I had over Cora starting school by herself was through the roof, and I was worrying about every minute detail. During Cora's blessing I was immediately overwhelmed with unspeakable peace. It was said that the Lord loves and knows her better than I do, which was a tender reminder for me to "be still, and know that I am God." That she is completely in the Lord's hands and I need to trust him. My blessing spoke of things that I had been questioning in my heart, too embarrassed to even talk to Lance about it. So I knew the blessing certainly came from Heavenly Father and oh how aware He is of us!!

I was given special permission to go into the school about 15 minutes before class started on the first day so that Cora would be more comfortable by the time other students arrived. Cora was assigned a helper, Sarah, to help her adjust the first two days. So as I left I snapped a quick picture and left Cora with Sarah for the first day of school. I walked out and didn't cry but was on pins and needles all day wondering how she was doing. 

The first week was only half days and I had a meeting with Mrs. Flaherty on the fifth day - Cora was doing great! She didn't need Sarah at all after the first day, she's doing everything on her own. However, it has been made very aware that Cora lacks a lot of basic social and emotional skills. She refuses to engage in class, will not socialize with other students, and will not talk to anybody. Mrs. Flaherty wondered about having her reevaluated again for special education services.

Now we've been in school for a month, and I'm so thrilled to say Cora's doing WONDERFUL!! I give her a pep talk everybody about using her words to make friends and being nice to others. She has made several friends in her class, she's come out of her shell, she's always excited and eager for school to start the next day, and socially has been doing MUCH better as she's gotten used to the routine and everybody in her class. She talks with other students and says hi to strangers (other teachers and students not in her class).

On Friday they took a field trip which means it was time to face another fear - the bus. But Cora did great and I was so thrilled when I got this email from her teacher later that night. "I didn't get the opportunity to tell you how awesome Cora was today! She raised her hand to share her favorite part of our field trip, she came up and did the smartboard in front of her peers, and she won our math game of counting this morning! I'm so proud of her!" WELL DONE, DARLING GIRL!!!!!

My goal ever since Cora was born, was to keep her in intensive therapy so that by the time kindergarten came around, she'd be caught up with her peers. I think the best analogy is like  we've been training for the olympics for the last 6 years. And now it's here and she came home with the gold. She has done superbly well and defied all the odds and overcome most of the obstacles that doctors warned us about.  Yes, she still struggles with certain things and will probably continue to do so in the future. But, I'm confident that I've done everything I could've possibly done for the last 6 years to prepare her for success. I gave her all the tools and she has proved to herself that she can do it. She can do it and she can do anything, as long as she puts her mind to it. I know that sounds cliche but for her, it is absolutely true!


 Special sitting on her desk
 Her helper, Sarah. And her new friend, Kesslin, those girls look like twins with their short blond hair.

No comments: