Wednesday, March 23, 2022

What Is One Thing the Lord Wants Me To Do Today?

In November (I think) I was called as the second counselor in Relief Society. I haven't served in this presidency before, so I was really excited but sad to lose my compassionate service calling. I really enjoyed that one. The ladies I get to serve with are so amazing and I'm touched to get little promptings here and there that I think are just my ideas or little thoughts but turn out to be an answer to someone's prayer.

We do RS visits twice a month and we have A LOT of 80+ year olds who are homebound. As we have visited them I am often reminded of Grandma Watson - very intelligent, talented, avid reader, with a beautiful spirit. I have been so humbled to learn of their lives and what they have been through. I'm amazed at the talents they cultivate - one sister is an extremely talented painter and showed us all of her artwork hanging in her home; another sister is taking two Harvard classes (one class is speech/communication because she wants to communicate better with her granddaughter) and one class from an Israeli Bible University. The Israeli class is Ancient Geography and when I asked why she chose that class, she said, "Well, I thought since we're learning about the Old Testament this year then this class would help me better understand it." Wow! She's 73 years old.

I had a prompting last week to study my patriarchal blessing and see if it would help me in my calling. I'm amazed to read it again and feel so undeserving of such incredible blessings. I hope and strive to live faithful to my covenants so that I can fulfill God's purposes that he impresses on my mind. Due to COVID we have a lot of sisters that are cautious of coming to church regularly, sisters who don't feel they belong in our RS, and sisters who feel lost. I've been praying to know ways to reach these sisters and make an impact on them so they feel Heavenly Father's divine love and mercy. I have a lot of questions and thoughts but little time to write.

I feel so blessed to be part of a wonderful woman's organization where the sole purpose is to lift burdens, cultivate friendship, and grow closer to the Savior. I've been trying to think of ways to magnify my calling and be more in tune to the subtle whisperings of the holy Spirit. I hope I am doing the right things and saying the right things. Some days I know my purpose for that day is to focus on my family and only my family. But all the days, I ask, "What is one thing the Lord wants me to do today?"

No comments: