Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Two Sicklings

Why is it that people don't get as sick in tropical climates as opposed to dry climates? That's a question I would like answered because we have now been in ID for four weeks and I've been sick twice and Lance once...ugh! When we lived in Charleston, we were sick maybe once a year. Maybe. Then we move to the cold, dry desert and are hit with every virus imaginable. Why us? Seriously, I want to know what it is about different climates that make viruses more prone to survive/spread. My hypothesis is the humidity. Probably not true, but until someone can prove me wrong or right, that's my assumption. Humidity=good health. (Although that doesn't always account for good hair days). Not to over exaggerate how miserable my sickness was but here's the list of things I missed out on: the ward Christmas party, Kempton gave his homecoming talk in church, Kempton sang in the college ward, Kempton sang at the MV Chorale concert, and the family dinner with most of Lance's siblings. Ugh...being sick is the worst!

Before I got hit with a serious wave of nausea, Lance and I took a little drive to the South Hills to see "The Lights." There's a house in the South Hills owned by the Wojciks that decorate like mad with Christmas lights. Every tree, shrub, telephone pole, square inch of grass, etc. is lined and covered with millions of Christmas lights. The road is up on a little hill with a circular driveway around the property so you can brave the weather and walk around or stay in the warmth of the car and drive the circle. It's so beautiful! They have every character light you can imagine from M&M's to Winnie the Pooh to exotic flowers to martini glasses. This year one portion of the yard was orchestrated with classical music - so cool! They transformed their garage into a display for a mini village that's all laid out so professionally, its way awesome! They also have a pet camel that you can feed carrots to. Anyway, its a very magical, cold, freezing, did I mention cold? but a magical place to see. And all for free!

I'm starting to get a little frustrated with blogger because this is the third time I've tried to update our blog but for some reason it won't let me download pictures. So until I can figure out what the problem is, the pictures will have to wait.

2 comments:

Jenete said...

I am so glad they are still doing the lights, good times in the south hills. Maybe that's why Jeff and I haven't gotten sick yet...knock on wood...since we just moved to MD. Usually I get a small cold every winter. I will have to test out your theory..hope you feel better:)

*LaUrA* said...

I was going to say that I think it is happens when you move to a new place...because you were used to or immune to the regular viruses or what not in Charleston... but in Twin you encountered new strains that you hadn't had...so you get a lot of bang for your buck at first...but then it should even out.

BUT...after reading Jenete's comment and hearing they haven't been sick in a new place...well then...I really don't know what I am talking about.

AND...I would also have to agree the 6 month we have been here I have only been sick ONCE...and Carter not at all...just little sniffles right now. So who knows!

Oh wait...because I need to make this comment longer...it could very well have to do with humidity because it keep your mucous membranes wet and soft...but in dry areas they of course dry out and crack causing infection to get in...so I remember hearing that once...but don't take my word for it...but it does make sense!

I will be quiet now...but hope you get feeling great and are able to start enjoying the holidays1