Monday, September 13, 2010

The Hardest Job You'll Ever Love

I've had a few thoughts lately on motherhood that I wanted to write down. I know I don't have kids and I'm not putting this out there as advice, just a few thoughts that I wanted to remember. First of all, one thing that I've learned is that kids are humans. Duh, what did you think they were?! They're kids and we shouldn't expect them to be superhuman with a world record in sitting still the longest or being the most quiet at one given time. Babies are going to act like babies so don't expect them to talk and tell you whats wrong or walk so you don't have to carry them anymore. Toddlers are going to act like toddlers so don't expect them to have 5 hours of quiet time when they can't read yet or sit still for longer than 10 minutes. It's funny that in our world we want kids to grow up faster and faster. I have a saying (that I have yet to turn into a craft although I have all the supplies for it) that simply says: Let Them Be Little. Enough said, don't wish one more year of them because before you know it, they'll be out of the house and you'll regret not telling one more bedtime story or taking 10 minutes out of your busy day to color with them. Slow down and just let them be little.

Another thought along the lines that kids are humans, is that they have feelings. Tender little feelings at that. It's important to teach kids to respect adults but it's as equally as important to give the same respect to kids. They learn best by example so when they see mom and dad respecting each other, they learn to do the same. We need to give respect in order to receive it so even though they are kids, they're still humans with tender feelings and need just as much respect as you and I do.

Kids mimic their parents and follow what they do. Little boys want to shave like their dads. Little girls want to put on make up like their moms. How mom and dad treat the kids, are the way kids treat each other and their parents. If we are speaking kindly to our kids and really listen to what they have to say, they'll speak kindly to us and listen to us. When we physically treat them kindly, they'll physically treat us kindly. If we're always yelling at them and being curt, they're going to react the same way because it's what they've been taught by example. If we grab the kid by the arm and yank them to their room, they'll treat us and their siblings the same way. Isn't it funny how they learn? I'm not saying that kids will never yell, hit, punch, slap, whine, complain, scream, and throw a terrible tantrum. I'm just saying that kids mimic their parents and follow what they do so we need to treat them the same way we want to be treated. Remember the golden rule? There is no age difference when it comes to the golden rule. You may be the mother and have the last word but kids still deserve respect and love and we should treat them the same way we would want to be treated. They're not going to be perfect so don't expect them to be.

Love your kids. I don't mean to half heartedly tell them good job on their coloring while you're trying to fix dinner and fold laundry and keep the baby from crying all at the same time. I mean really love them. Listen to what they have to say. Give them hugs and kisses everyday. Praise them for their good efforts and obedience. Encourage them when they fail and be there to pick them up when they fall down. Prioritize your time to make room for your kids. Yes, we make meals and do laundry and clean up for them, but make quality time to spend with them (the towels can stay in the laundry basket until tomorrow). Play dress up with the girls and let them use your make up and high heels. Play ball with the boys outside and teach them how to use a bat. Spend one on one time with each child, go to Arctic Circle for a kids cone at .20 cents and have a heart to heart.

If you don't agree with any of this, you don't have to. This is my journal and these are my thoughts while I don't have kids. Because one day I will have little rug rats running around and I'm going to be thinking, "What in the world did I get myself into!?" Then I can come back and read this and simply my life a little. Enjoy being a mother, it's the hardest job you'll ever love.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Becky, I love your thoughts. You are right on target and this was something I always need to be reminded of. Our childrens' childhood is a gift and I must remember to not be so busy that I miss enjoying the gift.

Matt and Debbie said...

Rock on Becky!! You're awesome. I'm catching up on your blog, and I'm also informing you that I'm stealing your idea of Let Them Be Little. I like your blog because of all the inspiration you share. It is always uplifting and helps me to be a better person. Thanks for your comment on mine, I'll send you another note answering your questions. I'm flattered.