Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A New Woman

This Labor Day weekend my family went camping, including Lance. I opted to stay home because I've been gone quite a bit lately and I have so much catch up to get done at home. So while Lance was four wheeling, roasting smores, sleeping in his little one man tent, and going to City of Rocks, I made a few stops around town to pick up some things and went to work. I replaced the rose patterned sheer curtains in the living room and I had no idea they looked old or "grandma-ish" until we had some friends visit several months ago, maybe even a year ago and made a comment about it. Because the pattern is gone it makes the house look much less cluttered on the windows and the shade of tan brown goes nicely with everything else. I also updated the bathrooms and replaced both shower curtains and rugs. I found two solid color curtains, rugs, and soap pumps at Target on clearance all for $28. So for a mere $14 for each bathoom it seems we have a whole new room. Again, more roses and flowers were taken down and stored away. Being that this house is the longest I've ever lived in one home (going on two years), I was dying for some sort of change. I can't belive that changing window and shower curtains can make such a difference.

Then I got to work deap cleaning. I mean, we're talking vacuuming the ceiling fans and walls. What?! Lady, are you speaking english??? Yes, there were lots of little neglected spider webs in the corners so I vacuumed off the walls. (When I was younger and lived on the farm I remember for FHE one night our activity was washing down the walls. Us siblings were each assigned a section of the house with our own bucket and rag. I thought my mom was crazy but turns out she's very wise! I bet one day when my kids read this they'll probably think I'm crazy too). I mopped and scrubbed and vacuumed and dusted and de-junked. I took a car load of stuff to the DI and several trips to the dumpster. It felt great to get so much done and it looks even better.

By the way, I bought a new vacuum last month. The one I have now is a Royal canister with all onboard attachments and powerhead. It's a great vacuum but I was tired of dragging it around the house and having to switch the powerhead with the attachments. Maybe a dumb reason but reason enough for me to purchase a new one. Or rather, like new. I bought Joseph's Royal upright since they have a central vac and a new little red Royal canister.....much more convenient to vacuum and now find that I vacuum more often. I have found that buying a new vacuum is much like buying a new bra, I feel like a new woman!

2 comments:

Harris Happenings said...

Your last line would be a great advertisement for the store!

*LaUrA* said...

haha...so that wasn't me who commented on the curtains was it? If it was...for the record...I wasn't being rude because I actually like the sheer rose curtains. And you know I love your house...I remember you thinking I was crazy...but I love the old-ness of it and all the different rooms. You guys have a lot of space...I would totally make that second living room a home theater room...just in case you were wondering what "I" would do...haha. And to live next door to the library and park...dream. :) Well now that I think of it...can I move into your house?