Sunday, August 21, 2011

Ready or Not

This week I'll be 27 weeks along, almost to the third trimester and less than 100 days to go. The past few weeks have been both up and down (mostly down) as I've had to deal with the sharp rib pain, uncomfortable pressure from the baby moving and having nowhere else to go, morning sickness for a week which turned out to be an infection, and starting to wear maternity shirts. Ahhhh maternity clothes, God bless you and your utmost comfort! I don't know why I put off wearing them for so long although I have yet to buy some pants because they're too dang expensive and I refuse to buy pants for $30 on sale and only wear them for a short while. Call me cheap but I call myself practical.

I am sick of being pregnant and especially on days where I don't feel good, just want to get the baby out. But ultimately, with only 3 months and 1 week left I've been trying to prepare myself mentally. I keep seeing all these moms who make it look so easy and effortless. Then I think to myself and ask the basic questions: Can I go grocery shopping by myself and my baby? How will I handle going into the mothers room to nurse with other women in there? What if I'm in public by myself and can't get the baby to quit crying and screaming? Do I know how to bathe a baby? What about all the newness and pain of nursing? How will I function on such little sleep? Some days I'm confident in myself and have no problem at all with the prospect of being a new mom. Other days I doubt myself and am scared to death with all the unknowns. I'm hoping that as a new mom I'll just know what to do hour by hour, day by day, and trust that Heavenly Father will guide me in taking care of this new spirit just sent to earth.

Ultimately........I'm excited! I get to start a new chapter in my life. I get to quit work and do all sorts of wife things that I never did before like pack a lunch for Lance, get the laundry done before noon, and have dinner on the table at 5:30. I'm sure it'll be the biggest adjustment of my life but ready or not it's coming. Mostly, I'm so excited to see Lance bond with his son for the first time. I'm excited to count all his fingers and toes, breath in that good fresh baby smell, give him kisses all over, feel his uber soft skin, cradle and sing him to sleep, and just stare at what a miracle he is.

5 comments:

*LaUrA* said...

So all the mom stuff you definitely will be able to do...but have the laundry done by noon, pack lunches, and dinner by 5:30...well...

:)You will know what to do and of course there will be times that are completely new...but you and Lance will figure it out together...and if that fails just take the baby to Momma Donna. :) It will be the hardest time of your life thus far....but also the best:)I can't wait for you!!

The Rich's said...

Oh Becky! You will be a fantastic mamma! I think when you said day by day little by little that is how being a Mom can be accomplished. It can be even further broken down and needed at times, hour by hour minute by minute and second by second. And most importantly with Heavenly father's Help. Through him is the only way us Mom's can survive! Oh what a wonderful Blog post. You encouraged and uplifted me to be a better mamma!

Karissa said...

Oh the fun stage! I had one baby in my rib cage the whole last 1/2 of my pregnancy. But it is all worth it! You are going to be amazing! (I still haven't gone grocery shopping with the babies...) and it is so so fun being able to pack lunches, actually make dinner, keep up on laundry and other household chores...You are going to love it!!!

Matt and Debbie said...

Oh you will do great! What to do will come. Your house looks wonderful. Love those paint colors. And you're right about the spacious kitchen. How lovely and exciting as you head into your third trimester!

Nielsons said...

I will be impressed if you can get all of that stuff done, but you and Lance will be great parents. Trust me, you know more than you think you do, and for all the other little stuff, you have family, friends, and the internet!!