Friday, December 8, 2017

Kindermusik

For the last several months Cora's therapy schedule has changed around a lot and at one point it really slowed down. I wanted to keep her engaged and challenged so she didn't lose momentum with her progress and development so I enrolled her in Kindermusik. Julie's mom owns/teaches it and she's so wonderful! It's a music class divided into age groups ranging from 0-7 years old. They have a curriculum that's followed but everything is active in this class. Cora's able to practice her social skills since she's not in a preschool class, speech, gross and fine motor, cognitive, etc. It's been really, really good for her and I wish I'd had her and Kimball in it a long time ago. On this particular day they were supposed to bring something that they could dress up in and pretend to be birds flying. I love her teacher's accessories, especially the yellow gloves on her shoes for the duck feet.

I've also had Cora evaluated for Sensory Processing Disorder and the results were pretty borderline. She has a lot of things about her that are just preferences and not necessarily problems but some as her feeding therapist called it, are quirks but still not problems. So she's going to be seen again by an occupational therapist. I also filled out a questionnaire about autism and she's definitely not autistic. It's so easy for me to look at her "preferences" and "quirks" and especially her speech and see how far she has to go. I can still see quite a big difference in her versus other kids her age. But then we run into therapists from the Guild School and they tell me how remarkable she's doing and remind me of how far she's come. I'm so proud of Cora! I thought by now I'd have a clearer image of how she'll be the rest of her life but I'm still very unsure of that. Most of her biggest setbacks have to do with speech so I'm anxious to see what the big picture looks like in a year or two from now and see how much she's progressed. 

She's still so perfect in my eyes. I love the way she calls Kimball "Gobble" and when I ask her to do something she'll salute me and say "my pwesure" (pleasure). She's very friendly and says hi (or currently Merry Christmas with the season) to everybody we pass. She's certainly strong willed and has a mind of her own. I'm so anxious to see where life takes her and can only hope that she'll love herself and find happiness in the little things as she currently does.

No comments: