Saturday, August 31, 2019

Summer Vacation - Part 2: Washington DC, Day 3

Pictures from Grandma Cox of the kid's adventures back home without us.




This day we spent SIX HOURS in the American history Smithsonian and we still didn't see it all! I took a few pictures of the things I found most amazing. I didn't get a picture of one thing - I was surprised to find they have the original sun stone from the Nauvoo temple.
In this shadow box are the actual shoulder pieces and tassles that were on George Washington's coat. To the right of it you can see his entire uniform. He was a tall, muscular man!

 Irving Berlin's piano
 While we toured Ford's Theater and saw everything relating to Lincoln, I was always curious as to where his famous top hat was. We found it! This is Lincoln's top hat, located in the Smithsonian.
 I thought this was funny - a stuffed uniform that was hung from this fake tree, it held the sign "tax collector."
 These are the ruby red slippers that Judy Garland wore in The Wizard of Oz in 1939
 Batmobile
This was very sobering - a piece of the wreckage from 9/11

No comments: