Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Caribbean Cruise Day 4

On day four we made it to Roatan, Honduras. It is absolutely beautiful! For our excursion we just got a private cab and had the driver all to ourselves for the day. He drove us around the entire island including the East End where the natives live, the Punta Garifuna people. 

Our driver pulled off to the side of the road at a fruit stand got us a bag full of these fruit, Liche (sp). They look so weird but once you open it, it has white meat and a pit. They are incredibly delicious, very sweet almost like a plum.



You can vaguely see the Honduran mainland, those little blue mountains in the distance.
This is the East End where the natives live. So gorgeous! I bought several souvenirs there and the children really know how to sell stuff. This one little girl was 9 and she kept asking if I would buy a basket to support her grandfather. I hated telling her no, the basket would've been smashed in my luggage.



Then our driver took us to see the sloth and monkeys. This little zoo is interactive, you can go inside to hold, pet and feed the animals.


I loved this sloth! He's just like snuggling a little baby! His hair is about 2" long, it's very thick and coarse.
Lance doesn't remember how to hold a baby, haha!

These monkeys stole anything they could find. He was looking all over in Lance's shirt, took his hat off and climbed inside, then jumped over to me. When he was on me he looked inside all my pockets in my backpack. He unzipped it all and everything, cheeky little thing.



Couple lizards in the macaw cage.

We ate lunch with our driver on this hillside. We had authentic rice, beans, and plantain chips. Yummy!

Once we got back on the ship we played golf (I won) and said goodbye to Honduras.



 

No comments: