Wednesday, May 18, 2011

13 Weeks

I had my doctors appointment today, found out I have Hyperemesis and have lost about 15 pounds total. We got to listen to the heart beat and luckily there's only one. :) Twins run in the Watson side of the family and I don't think I could have dealt with the shock of twins at this point. I hope that doesn't sound bad but I was indeed relieved to hear ONE heart beat and that there WAS a heart beat. I'm always afraid the doctor won't find it and they'll tell me bad news.

I don't know how he could tell but he was very concerned with me and the baby getting enough nutrients particularly lipids and proteins. He gave me the ultimatum: I either start getting a lot of fats, proteins, and calories or I have to get a permanent iv picc line and go in often to get those nutrients. He said it's more than just a regular iv that I've had before and described it as chocolate milk. Lance asked if it's more important that I gain weight or get the calories and he said it'll take quite a while for me to gain weight and right now I need all the calories I can get. He recommended ice cream, things with lots of butter (music to my ears), any kind of high fat/protein/calorie foods I can get. Which most people wouldn't think would be that hard but being pregnant and trying to keep anything down is quite the challenge.

I think I am getting better.....I haven't gone in for iv fluids since Easter and the day after, and when I do throw up it's about once or twice a day, once a week. I maintain my weight and eat every 2-3 hours but I guess what I'm eating isn't good enough. I have one week to prove myself or I get the picc line.

After my appointment we stopped at Taco Time (see how determined I was to eat fats?) and after a few bites I thought I was going to throw up. You know, when the food doesn't settle at the bottom of the stomach, it seems to stay between the ribs. So I stopped and gave myself a few minutes. Lance is trying to convince me it's heartburn so when we got home I tried (for the first time in my life) a few Tums. I was quite surprised they weren't at all disgusting like I dreaded. The Tums didn't really help.

So here's my question to all you women: is it really heartburn and how do I get rid of it? The reason I don't think it is heartburn is because #1 it doesn't burn. Every now and then I'll get a little hiccup/burp come up and that's what hurts. It still doesn't burn it just feels like uncomfortable pressure behind my sternum for a few seconds. That's the only time it hurts. The little hiccup/burp I do get often but it's never hurt like it has today. Any advice out there? Is it heartburn? If so, is there something besides Tums I can try?

4 comments:

Curtis and Crystal Emery said...

If you think it is heartburn at all then skip the tums and see if the Dr is ok with you trying Omeprazole (generic Prevacid) and see if that helps. I didn't have that burn at first either, it was more pressure but it did turn into a burn. Try as hard as you can to avoid the PICC line because it has a high infection rate and insertion is a bit scary. In our NICU situation with Lily it was the only thing I had to give consent for. I don't say it to scare you but it's better to know everything before it happens. Good luck. Try to find something fat that you can eat a lot of and go for it! I can't believe you have lost 15 lbs. You're so tiny as it is!

Jenete said...

I think Ashlee Staples (I am not sure what her married name is) had the same thing and lost a lot of weight also. It sounds terrible and I don't have much advice for you but I hope you will be able to find something that you can eat a lot of. Best of luck!

Tawni Williams said...

Dang girl - I'm glad throwing up has stopped and I hope that you can take in enough that you don't need a pic line. I would love to be on a high fat diet :) but yes i understand it's HARD to keep anything down. Baking soda does work but MEASURE IT CAREFULLY and do NOT ingest ANY VINEGAR for a long time. Heart burn can manifest in different ways - but it's hard to know what it is - sounds like it though.

Kirstin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.