Saturday, May 7, 2016

Spoonfuls of History

I found this spoon last week in the ground as I was weeding and doing other yard work. It was buried out where our garden area is now. It's so cute! It's really tiny, about 4-5" long and has really neat elegant detail. It has two little spouts on each side of the spoon and although they're not symmetrical I'm sure they were at one point. I'm guessing this could have been a sugar spoon? Either way I love it!

This spoon got me thinking........our house was built in 1936. What sort of history has this spoon seen in it's lifetime? Did it live through the dust bowl years, did it serve soup while reading Gone With The Wind, did it serve the rationed sugar during WWII into tea cups, did it scoop ice cream watching Annie Get Your Gun, was it a fan of The Beatles, or maybe it was manufactured in 2005 to look antique and a little boy snuck it outside to dig in the dirt without his mother noticing?

Either way, it got me thinking about my own spoons. I hope when my children are grown they look back and remember their childhood spoons, they think of our family dinners and the way they constantly made faces at the table and had us all laughing until we choked on our food. I hope they remember how funny it was when Kimball discovered the back of the spoon was like a mirror and he made faces into the spoon only to have Cora do the exact same into her plastic spoon that had no reflection. I hope they remember the smoothies that cooled them down on hot summer days, and the treat of ice cream after dinner with mom and dad. I hope they remember how effective those spoons were at administering gross tasting medicine masked by honey at 2am. I hope they remember the number of meals it prepared for families in the ward. I hope they remember they each got one spoonful of cookie dough before the cookies were baked. I hope they remember the hot chocolate it stirred and kept them warm on blistery days. I hope they remember the spoonfuls and spoonfuls and spoonfuls of peanut butter that I just couldn't say no to.

In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun
You find the fun and snap, the job's a game
And every task you undertake becomes a piece of cake
A lark, a spree, it's very clear to see

That a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down
The medicine go down, the medicine go down
Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down
In a most delightful way 

No comments: