Monday, August 4, 2008

New Hobbies

Lance and I discovered a new little hobby - antique auctions. This past weekend we went to an auction about a mile from our home, not really knowing what to expect but I had one thing in mind: an old trunk. We have several friends that have a ginormous, old, antique trunk that they got at the auction for $30. I want one of those trunks and that was my sole purpose of going to the auction.

The place was packed so we stood for the entire time, yes my feet hurt, but it was a lot of fun. I bid on this really old ornate, thick, gold framed 1900's period picture of children playing. It was so pretty and I bid up to $100 but was outbid by $25. As soon as the other lady won, the auction guys hung it back up on the wall and it fell apart. I'm glad I didn't win it after all.


Half the fun was bidding and seeing what they have to buy, the other half was watching these pro bidders and weird people who were not only interested but willing to pay money for crap. (Don't get me wrong it wasn't all crap, the furniture and pictures were unbelievable). I can't believe these little old women that buy ugly ceramic trinkets for hundreds of dollars. They must be very knowledgeable about antiques and different artists because they could have saved themselves $99 and bought the same santa clause mug at the dollar store. We all know that most old people's homes have shelves and shelves of trinkets and nick-knacks, but honestly a $100 for them??? They're crazy and have too much retirement money on their hands, they need to invest in an xbox and take up Rock Band to fill their time.

After we left the auction we walked around the antique mall and saw some really neat things. The prices were ridiculous so we quickly learned anything we buy at the auction is a steal. I will admit, when I went to antique malls when I was a kid I didn't like it one bit. I thought everything was just old junk that should have gone to the DI and everything was far over priced. It smelled old, it looked old, it felt old and l felt like I was about to contract every germ and disease known to man. BUT after living in such a rich cultured city I've come to appreciate history and all the stories behind the antiques.


Until I find my old trunk, I'm going to keep going to these auctions and give dirty looks at the old people buying dumb trinkets and scoff at the next 6'6" man that sits right in front of me!

No comments: