Monday, August 11, 2008

New Addition to the Family

Saturday Lance gave me the look with the puppy dog eyes. I know, you'd think after three years of marriage I'd get used to it and have some sort of defense look I could shoot back at him. But I heard him out and..............we got a pet. Now I explained to him that this yearning for something to cuddle with and play with and take care of something that will love him back, is a guy's way of saying, "hey, I think I want a baby." But he denied that fact even though he doesn't have me convinced.

A few months ago Lance bought a ten gallon fish tank on craigslist for $10. Not a bad price for something that would sell retail around $90. We don't want fish, they stink, they're boring, they can't do tricks, and you can't pet them. So I reluctantly let Lance buy the fish tank. (I'll also mention a few posts ago when we went to the auction, we were there with the sole purpose and intent to buy an old vintage trunk. Well, yall know we had two bunnies before we moved to Charleston and gave them away before we moved. At the auction, not only did we not find an old vintage trunk, but the only thing we {LANCE} bid on was a gigantic, practically new rabbit hutch. I will admit, it's very large and very nice, but did I mention it's large and we're moving shortly? It was a steal, Lance bought it for $15 and the retail price is about $200). So here we are with an empty fish tank and an empty, LARGE rabbit hutch.

After Lance gave me the puppy dogs eyes I gave in and we went to the pet store and bought a hamster. Yes, that's what Lance had in mind to occupy the fish tank, a hamster. He's reddish brown with a few white spots and alright! He is a cute little thing, I admit it! Lance made him a little house out of an empty oatmeal box and we got him a red ball to roll around the floor in. It's so cute! Or should I say, she's so cute! That's right, she's a female but we just cannot get into our heads that it isn't male because all little creatures are male in our minds. Therefore we had many a discussion regarding what to name our little guy. I had the idea of giving it a Charlestonian name and with Lance's vast knowledge of Charleston history due to his tour guide job, he rattled off all sorts of names. And we picked one, his name is Heyward after Thomas Heyward Jr. a delegate of SC who signed the Declaration of Independence. Heyward is very comfy and is getting used to his new home. No, he doesn't do tricks yet but we do aspire to teach him how to do a tight rope walk on a unicycle. :)
This is our little guy Heyward

He is a little shy at times

Coming out of his home made house

He really likes running in his ball

1 comment:

*LaUrA* said...

That is funny how you acknowledged it was a girl and then continued to say "he". Lance, Becky is right...you want a baby!...much more fun than a hampster!