Friday, August 29, 2008

Sweet, Sweet Service

This last week was our last working as ordinance workers in the Columbia, SC temple. Most temples are built on a hill or somewhere that can be seen from the interstate. Our temple is very small and you could be a quarter of a mile away and still not see the temple because of all the trees and kudzu. We've worked there a little over a year now and the blessings have been tremendous! Above all is the knowledge we've gained. I have learned more about the gospel just by working in the temple, than I ever have in my 23 years of being raised in the church. It's such a different experience being a worker than being a regular patron.

I've come to have a greater understanding of the scripture D&C 88:119-120 "Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God; That your incomings may be in the name of the Lord; that your outgoings may be in the name of the Lord; that all your salutations may be in the name of the Lord, with uplifted hands unto the Most High." Indeed the temple truly is a house of prayer, fasting, faith, learning, glory, order, and the house of God. I have learned more about the doctrines of the church, both basic and complex, and have had more questions answered as I've petitioned the Lord in His house and observed the service of those around me. I have learned a deeper meaning of love for our brothers and sisters. I have a greater appreciation for the early saints who were persecuted and pushed from place to place, yet still had the determination and faith to finish building the Nauvoo temple using their own and only fine belongings. I've been humbled to see strangers walk into the entry doors, yet its as though I've known them my whole life as my heart just swelled with love for them. I have learned how, especially the female workers, pay such special attention to every little detail. These are details that previously as a patron I had never even noticed nor thought of. But the workers of the temple have the number one priority of the patrons always in the forefront of their minds, and that is the comfort of the patrons. I have come to love the ladies I worked with as my own grandmothers. I'm so grateful for the experiences I've had in working with the special patrons that come through every week and also with the other ordinance workers. We've been so blessed as a family and I'm so thankful for the opportunity to work there.

I'd just like to share a few experiences that were simple but had a lasting impact on me. Towards the end of my shift several months ago, my last assignment was officiating in initiatory. It was a spanish saturday so most of the patrons spoke spanish. Afterward, I saw the same particular sister in the waiting room with her five children. Seeing they were getting a bit rambuncious, she gathered them in a circle around her on the floor and began to sing I Love to See the Temple in spanish. I was deeply touched by these precious children and their faithful mother. I saw that temple service not only blessed this mother but all her children as well and I cannot wait for the day I can do the same with my children. On another occasion I was assigned to help a woman in an endowment session. She had severe anxiety and over the past years, has made remarkable progress being able to come to the temple, not to mention even being in public at all. I also have anxiety so when she had a panic attack I knew how to help her calm down and gain enough composure to finish the session. I thought that maybe I was given the trial of anxiety so that I'd know how to help and comfort those with the same. For once, I was finally grateful for that trial because I would rather have anxiety all my life, to help this one woman in the temple, than not have it at all and not know how to help her.


Last weekend the Twin Falls temple was dedicated (I'm sorely sad we missed the open house and dedication) and I cannot wait to walk on those temple grounds and to be within the walls of that holy edifice. I am still in awe at the fact that it won't take two whole hours to drive to the temple, only 5 minutes. Holy cow, what a blessing! Especially looking at the faithful members of the church here who drive two hours just to go to stake conference, not to mention the even lengthier drive to the temple. I would like to share a quote by our beloved prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley:

"I urge you, my brethren and sisters, to utilize the temples of the Church.
Go there and carry forward the great and marvelous work which the God of heaven has outlined for us. There let us learn of His ways and His plans. There let us make covenants that will lead us in paths of righteousness, unselfishness, and truth. There let us be joined as families under an eternal covenant administered under the authority of the priesthood of God. And there may we extend these same blessings to those of previous generations, even our own forebears who await the service which we can now give. May the blessings of heaven rest upon you, my beloved brethren and sisters. May the Spirit of Elijah touch your hearts and prompt you to do that work for others who cannot move forward unless you do so. May we rejoice in the glorious privilege that is ours."

1 comment:

*LaUrA* said...

Amen. Thanks for sharing. I think it is a really near opportunity you and Lance had. I hope one day I might get to experience the same!