Thursday, March 26, 2009

Gardener's Secret

I had a hair cut scheduled for late this afternoon but my excitement and anxiety became too much so I canceled it. Instead I went to the local hardware store and bought several flower seed packets and some bulbs to plant. I'm no horticulturist by any means so I couldn't tell you the species of the flowers but they looked pretty in the picture......does that count? I was so excited to get dressed in my "barn clothes," (as my siblings and I called them on the farm growing up, or grubby clothes if you will) find my gloves and tools, and get working.

By this time it was about 5:40 and I braved the crisp wind for about 20 minutes. Then I realized the reason my fingers were going numb wasn't because I was working hard, but because they really were freezing. I took a quick break to grab a jacket and then went back to work. There's a lot of grass in the flower beds with no defined border so I just worked on the border and weeded out the extra plots of sporadic grass. By that time I was really cold and didn't have it in me any longer to stay outside. My lovely paper bag full of seeds and bulbs would have to wait for another warmer day before they get planted.

As I was about to put away my tools my brother walked out of our house, finishing up a piano lesson with Lance. He's much more knowledgeable about garden things so I showed him all the work I have to do and explained my plan along with my excited squeal as he peaked in the paper bag to find seeds. Come to find out from my expert of a brother, he said I'm not supposed to plant anything until after Good Friday which isn't for another 2.5 weeks. (Bummer!) Otherwise everything will freeze. As I was showing him around the outside of the house, I found in one little corner I have daffodils that already bloomed!! They're so pretty, I love their beautiful little heads that bounce in the breeze! There are also tulips, irises, these purple bulb looking things, and bigger bulb looking things. I have no clue what they are but I'm excited to watch them bloom and grow. :)

While I'll be impatiently waiting for Good Friday to come and go, I have my work cut out for me defining the border on the other side of our front steps, weeding out the plentiful extra grass, and possibly getting rid of a few dead trees. (By the way, how come none of you told me this little gardener's secret about planting too soon???)

No comments: