Monday, March 9, 2009

The Saga Continues

Week 3 - just a little update and ranting on this weird prolonged illness that has me in bondage. I did go to the doctor a week ago who said I have a bacterial infection/virus/whatever. He prescribed me some antibiotics to take which did actually work, by Friday I was feeling almost normal again. Saturday came and it started all over again, the coughing, sneezing, stuffy sinuses, all of which I've been trying to endure well. Until last night. I had some intensely sharp pains in my stomach that would last as long as 5 seconds (which seemed like an hour!) or as little as a half second, either way they were EXTREMELY painful. I tried to endure those as well as I could but the pain was getting closer together and more intense. At this time Lance was at quartet practice so I told him he needed to come home ASAP. He kind of did, he took a detour to the pharmacy and the pharmacist said that the antibiotics were killing the bad and the good bacteria in my stomach which was why it was so painful.

Anyway, by the time Lance got back I had thrown up a couples times and he was researching it all on the internet. Everything he found said to stop taking the antibiotics and to contact a doctor right away. Duh, that was helpful! It was around midnight, Lance called the few doctor offices that were open and they wouldn't give doctor's advice over the phone without knowing our regular doctor. We don't have a regular doctor, we just moved here a few months ago - frustrating! Luckily we have several friends in med school in Charleston, however it was about 2am their time. Do we call and wake them up? We opted not to. I threw up once more and Lance told me to get dressed, we were going to the ER. By this time the pain was further in between and I was able to start drifting off to sleep, until the pain woke me again. I told Lance I'd try to sleep it off and if it was just as bad in an hour, I'd wake him and we'd go to the ER.

Thankfully I lived to see another overcast day here in Twin without a trip to the ER. I'm waiting for a phone call back from the original doctor that admitted me and hopefully I can put this whole thing behind me. I have a lot of important things going on this week so I'm hoping by tomorrow that I'll be back to my old self. We'll see.

On a lighter note, this illness has given me a lot of down time which means I finally had time to start reading Twilight. SO GOOD!! Even though I'm not much of a literary analyst or writer myself, I don't think I would have enjoyed the book as much had I not seen the movie first. I didn't care for the first two chapters I think the author writes in too many short sentences. That bothers me a little, I like to have some variety. But when it comes down to describing Bella and Edward and their conversations, I think she captures it so intimately perfect!

Lance is doing quite well in school. I was never as academically dedicated as he is, I'm so amazed at how much time and effort and TIME he spends studying. How many college kids do you know go to the lab on a Saturday night studying? I only know of one and I'm so proud of him.

You would not believe how filthy our house is. Sure I've been sick for 3 weeks but I never feel quite good enough to bring out the cleaning supplies. I mean our house is down right D-I-R-T-Y which can't help my illness but I just don't have the energy to clean. Luckily I have a good husband who still does the dishes for me.

Hopefully the next time I post I'll be back to my chipper self. Until then, Twilight is waiting for me.

3 comments:

J-Babe said...

Yuck! Sorry Becky! That is way too long to be sick! I hope you figure out what it is and get better! I know what you mean about your husband studying, Steve and I spent many many long nights in the library, it is so worth it though! We should get together and go on a double date.

*LaUrA* said...

Gosh Becky...I am sooo sorry because I know all too well how you feel. I thought for a minute that the ending to your post might be that you gave birth to a baby without ever knowing you were pregnant...with the pain in your stomach increasing and getting closer together...okay...someone else please tell me I am not the only one who thought this!!:)(although with how tiny you are I just don't see you ever being able to NOT know you are pregnant.. anyways...way of topic here)

I'll keep you in my prayers in hopes you can get back to full health. While the sickness is not fun the down time can be quite nice at times...I read 2 books and watched more TV than any person should be allowed!

Oh I sure hope you feel better soon!!!

Josh & Michelle said...

Oh sweetie that sucks! I hope you start feeling better. Never hesitate to call us at 2 am- we will be up for feedings and saving your life is worth lack of sleep- TRUST ME! Glad that Lance is doing so well, we sure miss you guys!