Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Oh My

This Christmas was one of wonder: family, love, laughter, music, joy, friends, lights, carols, yummy food, cold weather, and warm smiles. I enjoyed a few days off before and after which made for a nice week or so. I can't believe what Lance got me. First I opened the small little presents that were amazing and delish at the same time, a lamp for my studio, peanut butter m&ms, some books, and such. It was a nice quiet day and very relaxing.

After we opened gifts Lance told me to turn around on the love seat while he brought out my last present. He left the room and I had my eyes squeezed tight in anticipation of what it might be. After a few seconds he told me to turn around but I wasn't sure I wanted to. I didn't know what to expect. It was a large picture of some sort with a sheet over it. I was hesitant to take the sheet off so I slowly uncovered one corner. I couldn't believe what it was!

Meet Reynaldo Rivero. He's a Cuban who lives in Jerome and we met him at the park over the latter end of the summer as he was in a craft show selling his paintings. They were beautiful pieces of the temple, the prophets, fruit baskets, scenic images, etc. Then we saw the one. It was so beautiful and we were awe struck. That one painting is what Lance got me for Christmas.

We had seen this painting at the park but with a different frame so I was confused, did he paint another one? Indeed. Turns out after the park Lance was so moved by his work, he called him up and said, I have $X can you paint something for my wife for Christmas? Rey got to work and he's been working on it since early September. Lance picked it up Christmas Eve and got teary eyed as he saw it. When Lance told him he had $X Lance was picturing something about 8x10 or 11x16 size. I mean, this isn't a print this is the real painting here! Lance had no idea it was going to be so large, to say the least Rey was so sweet and Lance got a steal of a deal. On the lower right hand corner he even painted "To Rebekah" in the corner, opposite his signature. When Lance picked up the painting Rey was more than happy to pose with his masterpiece in a photo. Wow. Speechless.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Oh my indeed! That is beautiful. You scored big points, Lance!!!

*LaUrA* said...

That is awesome!! It is beautiful! I agree...major kudos to Lance!

julie said...

wow! I am so happy for you,and what a beautiful story! I think I saw that one in the park too and loved it!

Matt and Debbie said...

So awesome!! What a wonderful gift.