Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Product Review: Philips Sonicare Toothbrush

Santa gave Lance and I a set of Sonicare toothbrushes for Christmas. We've never used them before and due to a lot of dental work this year, we figured it would be in our best interest to check them out. I read a lot of online reviews before the purchase and like any other product there were a lot of pros and cons. Here is my review:
PROS
  • I should have bought these 20 years ago, they work wonders! I can't believe how clean my teeth feel compared to a manual toothbrush. Other than investing in Lance's education, this is the best investment for the year.
  • The timed intervals for each quadrant is quite short. It is two minutes total and I'm shocked at how fast it goes by. It makes me wonder if I was previously brushing my teeth for 10 minutes.
  • It is an intense experience. I read the brushing would tickle but I wasn't prepared for the vibration. To me it doesn't tickle, it's just a vibration and it isn't by any means painful, just different. A few seconds of discomfort is worth it!
  • A few reviews complained about a short battery life. Since I've only used it for 5 days I haven't had a problem with the battery and I haven't traveled with it yet so no complaints there.
  • Another review complained about water squirting at them from inside the handle. I've had no problems with this.
  • Santa found this at Costco on sale for $80 which included: 4 brush heads including head covers, two handles, two travel cases, charging stand, brush head stand for two heads. The replacement heads I got from our dentist, 3 brush heads for $16 and I haven't found a better deal than that yet.

CONS

  • No cons. I would purchase this again in a heart beat and highly recommend it for everyone!

I do wonder, for those of you who have kids do you purchase this kind of toothbrush for your children? Just thinking back on my childhood, I visited the dentist almost as much as I visited the bathroom. I would think it to be a great way for "preventative maintenance" so to speak especially among kids. I remember hating to brush my teeth as a youngster and I don't know if dentists recommend kids use these or not. Any parents out there have an opinion and why?

1 comment:

Matt and Debbie said...

We have a toothbrush like that too, but the OralB one. I love it and have used it for 2 years, and Matt (sharing the same handle). The battery life is getting much, much shorter now. New heads at the dentist office is the best way to go, my sister works at a dental office and they sell them there at cost ($4/head). Our kids have recently started using our handle with their own heads since we haven't bought more handles yet, but I highly recommend it for kids. Their teeth are so much brighter and cleaner, and they don't get the plaque line around the gums. I don't know if they have cavaties, as they haven't seen a dentist for almost 3 years. I figure they're baby teeth, and nothing hurts them.