Thursday, February 17, 2011

Quarter Century Crisis

This morning after my shower I blow dried, straightened my hair and pulled the front part of it back, getting ready to apply my make up. As usual for some reason I leaned over the sink so I could get a close up of myself in the mirror. (Why do I do this every time I shower? I'm suddenly asking myself {right this minute} this question even though I've done it for years. What's with the obsession of looking closely at myself in the mirror and then getting totally grossed out at what I see? You'd think I'd learn)! Hmmm, that's a little funny...............what's that kinda shiny thing in my hair? Taking a closer look: lint from the towel? Shampoo and/or conditioner I didn't rinse out very well? Some other alien object that Trish's boys got stuck in there, like a piece of Ring Pop? I separated my hairs to locate and discover what this shiny thing was.

GASP!!!! Are you kidding me?!

Is that really a gray hair??? I frantically separate the hairs quicker and find that it is indeed a non-towel-lint strand of hair. I'm only 25 what the heck is it doing in my head? I quickly pulled it out and examined it precisely......maybe it's just a really blond hair, I hope?! Part of it is brown like it should be from the last dye I used a few months ago, but then a definite white/blond color which I don't think is blond because the pit in my stomach tells me otherwise. I anxiously went through the rest of my hair to see if there was any more. Nope. And what an odd place for a gray hair, behind my ear but higher up toward the top of my head. I thought gray hairs start around the ears and temples. I found the appropriate place for this strand of hair and quickly flushed it down.

As I've been thinking about this all morning and debating whether to blog about it, I thought it's no body's business if I have gray hair and if they find out then they will know I dye my hair but not necessarily for the purpose of covering grays. But then I thought, when I'm old and go back to read this journal, how sad will it be if I don't document my first sight of my very first gray hair? That would be sad and I would like to reflect back and make fun of myself for being so dramatic. But................... it WAS a gray hair and I'm ONLY 25 years old people!

1 comment:

Matt and Debbie said...

Hahaha!! That was so funny. 25 with a grey hair, how horrible that must be! (I'm 26 and keep looking for them to start popping up since Matt got his first one the week we got married at 24). Wow. Also, would've never guessed you dyed your hair. Did mine for the first time last week.