Thursday, September 27, 2012

Simplify

In a recent FHE lesson we studied the talk "Let Him Do It With Simplicity" by Elder Perry. I'd like to share an excerpt from it:

"I remember a particular period of my life when I was under unusual stress. There were troubles with my employment, and at the same time, my wife was diagnosed with a life-threatening illness. This was one of those times when it felt like the adversary had mounted a frontal assault against me and my family. On days when the stresses and anxieties of our tumultuous life were about to get the best of us, my wife and I found a way to relieve them. We drove to a place just a few miles from our home to get away for a few moments of relief from our troubles, talk, and give emotional comfort to each other. As Elder William R. Bradford taught at this pulpit: 'In righteousness there is great simplicity. In every case that confronts us in life there is either a right way or a wrong way to proceed. If we choose the right way, we are sustained in our actions by the principles of righteousness, in the which there is power from the heavens. If we choose the wrong way and act on that choice, there is no such heavenly promise or power, and we are alone and are destined to fail.' In our search to obtain relief from the stresses of life, may we earnestly seek ways to simplify our lives."

I really enjoyed this talk because I think we often forget or overlook the simple pleasures in life that give us the greatest joy. It seems the world has replaced dinner conversations and heart to heart family bonding with tv watching, internet browsing, facebook searching, phone texting, game playing nonsense where no fulfillment can be found. I know I'm guilty of this at times. Lance thought of a challenge that he'd like us both to try sometime, which is to go a week without electronics, namely: tv, internet, and no use of the phone besides making or receiving an actual phone call. We have yet to try it but I think we'll be surprised by how much we would be taught by the Holy Ghost, how closer we will become as spouses, and experience even more joy at watching Kimball grow and develop.

Lance and I have an interesting perspective on life since Lance works everyday with families and individuals who are grieving, upset, and sometimes these families' worlds have been unexpectedly shattered by a death. They don't know where to piece their lives back together or know how to get up in the mornings. Because we have a testimony of the gospel, we can receive comfort in the knowledge that our Savior has atoned for us and knows how to comfort us. Both by his actual suffering and that glorious gift of the resurrection! Since we never know what tomorrow will bring, I urge you all: don't wait until tomorrow to say "I love you" or "I'm sorry." Don't wait to hug and kiss your spouse or children or parents or siblings because the opportunity may not be there tomorrow. We can follow the good example of dear Aunt Kathy, I don't think she ever held back her love or forgiveness.

Lance and I are working on simplifying our lives and hope we grow closer together as a family by doing so. I know the Lord has a hand in our lives and is always mindful of us.

No comments: