Sunday, January 25, 2009

Glimpses Into the Life and Heart of Marjorie Pay Hinckley

I have been reading this book about sister Hinckley and I wanted to post an excerpt in her words that really touched me:

"A grateful heart will give you a touch of refinement that can come in no other way.


I went to high school during the days of the famous Depression. It was a miserable experience. But, in a way, I wish you could have been there with us. Somehow it helped me to appreciate much more the prosperity we now enjoy. I know some of you think you are on a tight budget, and you are. I am glad if you are. But it is a tight budget because you have nothing else to compare with it. It isn't your fault that you have had three square meals a day, most every day of your life. It isn't your fault that somehow or other you have always been able to get a new pair of shoes, whether you needed them or not. It isn't your fault that you have at least five or six changes of clothing in your crowded closets. But all of this makes it doubly hard for you to be truly grateful.

Has the fear of not being able to get an education ever struck terror into your heart? Probably not, for you knew that somehow or other you would get here and that somehow or other you will stay as long as you so desire, for this is America, where only your own indolence can keep you from the good things in life.

And when you finally develop a little gratitude in your heart, make up your mind to express it. 'Appreciation unexpressed is not appreciation.' If you can't find someone to say thank you to for something, just take a look at your toothbrush and say, 'Thank you for being. You are a wonderful little gadget.'

'Thank you' is a wonderful phrase. Use it. It will add stature to your soul. Never let a day go by without saying thank you to someone for something - and especially to your Heavenly Father."

2 comments:

*LaUrA* said...

Oh thanks for sharing!! I have not read her book and I really need to pick it up...no doubt a righteous woman with immense wisdom.

I think more people(including myself) need to really think on what she said about gratitude and expressing our appreciation. The times I am most discouraged about our country as a whole is when I see so much ingratitude. All day long I come in contact with people and it seems the majority have a "me, me, me" attitude...it is never what can they do for others but what can be done for them. And I am not saying I am above this...sometimes I think I am grateful and then on my reflecting times I realized how I missed so many opportunities to express my appreciation to others.

Thanks for your thoughtful posts...words we can all benefit from!

Ashley and Dave said...

That really lightened my night! Thanks!