Thursday, January 8, 2009

A New Era

On Sunday an older woman in our ward whom I greatly admire for her strength and wisdom, stood up in Relief Society and gave an analogy that she was taught several years ago by her visiting teacher when she was about to move. She talked about how each of us are in different eras in our lives; some are newlyweds and others are celebrating their 50th anniversary. Some are finishing school and others are well into their careers. Some have little tots running around and other are raising teenagers. Etc, etc. As we enter in these eras we are like four white walls. If there are regrets or mistakes on our old wall decor, we have a chance to decorate these new white walls with whatever we wish. We ring in a new year and everybody has resolutions on their minds, well this is our chance to create a new era, to make needed changes in our lifestyle or habits, and to "hang up" a picture of Christ on our new walls.

Of course she said this much more eloquently than I just explained, but as she did I welled up with tears and my heart ached to be in Charleston. I felt sad, alone, and really vulnerable. Then I realized that I have entered a new era in my life: Lance and I have moved back home to Twin Falls to finish up school. I have just as much opportunity as the next person to make changes in my life. And so I decided to be happy. I decided to do what makes me smile and laugh. I decided to quit being selfish and self-centered and feeling sorry for myself for being so far away from my friends and all the things I came to absolutely love about Charleston. I decided that all the familiar sayings and quotes are true and not just cliche that states, "Only you can make yourself happy" or "You choose your own attitude" or "As a man thinketh so is he." One of our best friends in Charleston has a big board above her mantle that just states Be Happy. I'm making the decision to be happy, to be proactive and outgoing about making friends and making Twin Falls home again.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Debbie Downer. I've just realized that I need to change my attitude and be more optimistic. Life is to be enjoyed and we're supposed to be happy. That's why families, chocolate chips, and crafts exist! :) No really, one of my goals that I previously posted about was to read more. I finished reading The Peacegiver a few weeks ago and it really changed me. So I'd like to take the initiative to help other people laugh and smile and feel good about themselves because if they do, then so will I.

6 comments:

*LaUrA* said...

here, here!! Great Post Becky! I need to read that book.

Josh & Michelle said...

Becky I miss you so much and so do the YW! You are such an inspiration to me and such a good example. I love your post! Change is so hard for me so I can totally relate. It seems for me that the grass is always greener on the other side. It is such a good reminder to me to always be happy where you are!

Laura said...

Becky, what a great post! Since we are about to enter the new era of little ones running around I think it's time for me to make changes too and move into that new room. Imagine the possibilities!!

Tawni Williams said...

Well said- and very happy you posted it - don't feel like a debbie downer - EVERYONE needs that reminder. You're amazing - hope to see you guys again soon!

Tawni Williams said...

PS- I'm SOO needing to read that book - I have it and you've inspired me to finally sit down with it!

Turok said...

My mom always said to me, "Attitude is Altitude" The better the attitude, the higher the altitude. Thanks for sharing that....it is a real good reminder for us all.