Saturday, January 10, 2009

I Gave In!

Ok I've never been a big fan of reading books that are popular. The Harry Potter books and movie - I could care less. The Chronicles of Narnia - not interested at all (although I did see the movies because Lance read the books several years ago and loved them). I'm just not a science fiction type of person, all the fantasy and weird creatures and powers, just a little too bizarre for me. I like to stay a little more grounded.

However, while Lance was having quartet practice tonight, Emily, one of the other fellow quartet wives such as myself, came over while the boys sang their little hearts out. We decided to go see a movie. And yes, I gave in and watched Twilight. Now, in my defense Emily had already seen it a few times and although she hadn't read the books, she was SO in love with it. I mostly wen
t along with it to humor her because in all honesty I really didn't think I would enjoy it at all. I mean come on, vampires, really???

Needless to say, I am now a Tw
ilight fan and come Monday I will be the first one at the library checking out the books. Yeah I'm too cheap to buy it and besides we live literally, right next door to the library so I really have no excuse not to read the books now. I'm debating if I should just read the first one and then wait until the next movie comes out to read the second. I don't like to jump ahead and I don't want to spoil the next movie. But if I like the books as much as the movie, there's no way I'd be able to wait for the next movie. Alas, I am now a fan!

10 comments:

julie said...

I still say you have to give Harry Potter a chance. I'm SO not into fantasy, and the HP movies are mediocre..but the books make all the fantasy seem very normal life...I guess kinda like the vampires. Read them!! (After Twilight of course)

J-Babe said...

I always like the read the books before the movie but that is just me:) One fantasy series I read was the Eragon series, you might give them a try and to understand the Harry Potter movies I think it is good to read the books, you just have to get into it:) Also, the Narnia Chronicles consist of seven books but they are small books and an easy read!

Justin and Crystal said...

Yeah!! You're a Twilight fan! I say read them all because they're so great. Then, re-read the 2nd book before the next movie. Yee-haw!!

Jana Dille said...

You will not be able to wait to read the second, trust me. And you will eventually buy the books because you will want to read them over and over and over! They are way better than the movie!

Tawni Williams said...

I'm telling you - get ready to be reading them for a couple days because I honestly read the first three books over Christmas break - I honestly love them and if you loved the movie you will LOVE LOVE LOVE the books

Matt and Debbie said...

I swear I'm never going to watch that movie or read the books. But everyone keeps raving over them!! I hope I never cave in...
By the way, you're such a good person. I have no idea how you keep coming up with more ways to improve yourself!!
And I like your new jewelery!

Nielsons said...

Welcome to the dark side! It is a full blown addiction, at least until you get through all of the books. Ask my kids and husband. They spent a week and a half being totally neglected while I devoured this series night and day.

PS I finally updated our blog and hopefully will keep it up!

Cassie said...

I bet you will have them all read by the time the 2nd movie comes out later this year. They are hard to put down.

Ashley and Dave said...

Ya, I am with everyone else. You wont be able to wait. The books are a heck of a lot better than the movie. They are so much deeper and give greater discriptions to things so you actually understand what is going on and background information.
They are a pretty good read, I am not going to lie. I would let you borrow mine but I live in IF. Sorry. ..And we have never met, but I am pretty sure I would recognize you due to blog pics now though!

Jason & Makenna said...

So I am very anti popular books. It took Jason FOREVER to make me give Dan Brown or even Grisham a chance. As he puts, "they are popular for a reason." Anyway, I finally jumped on the bandwagon in December and read the entire series in a week. In fact, I finished every book the day I started it. It's a little addicting to say the least. Definitely read Twilight. You will get so much more of the story than the movie! And don't let the 2nd book discourage you, it drug on quite a bit for me. The 3rd and 4th are worth it!