Sunday, December 2, 2012

Homeward Bound

We've had quite the rain/wind storm today and it's rather chilly out. The wind is pounding on the walls and swooshing through the leafless trees. Today I'm thankful for our house. We live in an old house downtown that was built in 1910. We love the character of it and the old house feel and the uniqueness in each room. But I mostly love what makes our house a home. I deeply love the two people who reside here with me and the things in each room that describe us and make us happy. For me, those things would be my craft room where I can create pretty things. For Lance, those things would be his antique embalming machine on his bookshelf.

By happenstance, about a month ago Lance was at work and came across some paperwork of a baby that died in the 1930's. The baby passed away at 260 6th Avenue North. Our house. Since he told me that, I often imagine what else happened in our house through the last 100 years. So many monumental things: the first world war, the stock market crash and great depression, the dust bowl era, the second world war, the invention of television and microwaves, the advances of medicine and modern technology, man landing on the moon, the fashion of parachute pants and jelly shoes, easy bake ovens and stretch armstrong, and yet the incomprehensible (at least for me) invention of cell phones and internet.

It makes me wonder what the people were like who lived here before us. What did they do for work? What were their kids' names? What struggles did they go through? What made them come to and leave this house?

Either way, I'm grateful for our house. I'm thankful that it's keeping me warm on a day like today. I'm thankful that it is a shield from the worldly filth. I'm thankful that it's a comfortable place where we can sleep and come together to celebrate many of life's wonderful occasions.

The first picture of our house we found on the internet and was dated 2007. The second picture was taken for the real estate listing and this is what it looked like when we purchased it in 2011. It looks a lot different now as we've done a lot to the exterior. However, since we don't have a current picture you'll just have to take my word for it.



No comments: