Monday, January 28, 2013

Operation Make An Effort

This year we'll celebrate our 8th anniversary which is awesome, but sometimes life sneaks in and we become mundane creatures of habit, forgetting to put any extra effort or love into any of our mundane actions. So this past week I've really, diligently tried hard to make an effort. Every day I asked myself, "Self, what can you do for Lance to make him happy today?" And then I do that thing. It has really helped me put Lance first and ensure that I do something special, no matter how small or insignificant it may seem to me. I've found it is most often those insignificant things that make the biggest difference.

For family home evening we played a game of 20 Questions about ourselves, because after 7 or 8 years, we either forget or change. So we learned about each other again which sounds lame but it was surprisingly nice. I know Lance's favorite color of burgundy hasn't changed from when we were dating, he still doesn't know his favorite food, his favorite tv series that he's currently watching is Dragnet, he would like to vacation in TX (which I didn't know), and if he could change anything on the house he would replace the outside steps. My favorite color has changed to a pear-y green, my favorite food is steak, my favorite tv series that I'm currently watching is Everybody Loves Raymond (Netflix) or Parenthood, I'd go on a vacation to the New England states and do a US history tour, and I would change the paint color in every room of our house. Of course we continued talking and had a great discussion.

Since our FHE of 20 Questions, we've both sacrificed little things here and there for each other and have really gone out of our way to make sure the other is happy. We went on a date Friday to dinner and a movie which was lovely to have some time together without him being on call. In short, our very small and tiny efforts have made a very big difference and I think we'll continue to do so because it has made our lives so much happier as well as easier. We've also had better communication which is a win win!

Tomorrow we're going on a "vacation" to Idaho Falls and SLC. Lance has to do three audits in the those areas and Kimball and I are going along for the ride. It'll be a great way to break up the week, spend more time together, and see Christine.

1 comment:

julie said...

I love Parenthood! Haha, we'd always watch a Parenthood, and then a Raymond. But now we've finished season 3. :(