Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Clear As Mud

Last night was pretty miserable. Lance and I were both quite confused and kept analyzing every word the doctor said, trying to make some sense of what we heard. We both went to bed very frustrated and feeling hopeless. I didn't sleep much, I couldn't turn my brain off.

We both decided we needed someone to explain things better, so we left a voicemail for Cari Brose, the most awesome PA ever. We loved her when she saw us with Kimball and we love her with this pregnancy as well. She explained the same thing about the heart and bowels and the need for better images of both organs. She said the dark spots on the bowels could end up being blood that the baby ingested and it may not be a big deal at all.  She did mention a few other key points that the doctor never mentioned to us. She said the femurs are measuring small which indicates down syndrome. The doctor didn't say anything about the small femurs or needing blood work done.

So Friday morning in Boise we'll have a high tech ultrasound, blood work to test for 3-5 different genetic disorders and birth defects, and we'll meet with a genetic counselor. We have no idea what it all means until we get up there and have the images and blood work done. The tests results will come back in seven days. I can't stand to wait another two days to get any news!

4 comments:

Bonnie and Kempton Cox said...

Ugh... waiting is the absolute worst. I wish they wouldn't tell people that there could possibly be something wrong and then make them wait ages to know for sure. Kempton and I both feel for you guys. Hang in there! We are praying really hard for you.

Bonnie and Kempton Cox said...

Ugh... waiting is the absolute worst. I wish they wouldn't tell people that there could possibly be something wrong and then make them wait ages to know for sure. Kempton and I both feel for you guys. Hang in there! We are praying really hard for you.

Jake and Katie Schwabedissen said...

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I'm VERY familiar with that office and those doctors and genetic counselors. They are really great people and they are very good about explaining things. My advice: Go out and buy a nice notebook and a nice fancy pen and write down every question that comes to mind no matter how dumb it is. This will keep you distracted until your appointment. Then when you're with the doctor/counselor write down everything they say and don't be shy about asking them to repeat it for you. I'll be praying that they have lots of good news for you! Good luck! And feel free to e-mail me or call me if you want to talk.

Laura said...

Oh my. I will include you in my prayers!!!