Friday, July 27, 2012

Thy Best, Thy Heavenly Friend

“Don’t overschedule yourselves or your children. We live in a world that is filled with options. If we are not careful, we will find every minute jammed with social events, classes, exercise time, book clubs, scrapbooking, Church callings, music, sports, the Internet, and our favorite TV shows. One mother told me of a time that her children had 29 scheduled commitments every week: music lessons, Scouts, dance, Little League, day camps, soccer, art, and so forth. She felt like a taxi driver.”
- Elder M. Russell Ballard

(Notice that this quote even mentions the internet? It seems like the internet is a regular event that's on the calendar. I had to ask myself how much time do I spend every day on the internet? Facebook? Pinterest? Craigslist? Ebay? Email? Youtube?)

Every night when Lance and I read we find these quotes and hymns that accompany our scripture reading. They really mean a lot to me and I feel them noteworthy for this journal. The hymn that went with last night's reading and quote was:

Be Still My Soul
1. Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In ev’ry change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav’nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

2. Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.

3. Be still, my soul: The hour is hast’ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

No comments: