Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Traditions

Over the weekend I went with Lance's family to decorate graves in remembrance of past loved ones. This is going to sound absurd but I never really knew what Memorial Day was all about until this year. My family generally goes camping or to the movies or four wheeling and I guess it's because the cemeteries that my ancestors are buried in, are 3 hours away and I've never had anyone close to me die. All of my grandparents are here and my last great grandparent died a few years ago. So I don't think I've ever in my life decorated graves (besides during family reunions) until this weekend. I have to say I think it's an excellent tradition and I'm already looking forward to next year. I've always been intrigued by Lance's family history and by giving flowers I heard more stories from his parents about the family. I'm grateful Lance is going into mortuary science for school, I've always found his job extremely fascinating and well, if he didn't major in it then I probably would. I'm so thankful for the legacy and the heritage that we have both as individuals for our own families and the legacy and heritage that we will bring day. I'm so thankful for family history work and temples. Having the temple only 10 minutes away is such a special blessing! I look forward to the day I get to meet my ancestors as well as Lance's and learn more about our families.

No comments: