Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Movie Reviews

We're new to the Netflix crowd, we just don't watch too many movies. Lance is all about the streaming and Mystery Science Theater (go figure) so we're trying the free month trial. Saturday we watched To Kill A Mocking Bird. This is the first time I've seen it and the movie makes me want to read the book. Was it required in school? I don't remember ever reading it but I may make a stop to the library here shortly. I loved every bit of it especially the fact that it is black and white and takes place in the south. I love the whole character of Atticus, the naivety of Scout, and the big brotherness of Jem. What a family, the whole thing was fantastic!


Older Scout: Neighbors bring food with death, and flowers with sickness, and little things in between. Boo was our neighbor. He gave us two soap dolls, a broken watch and chain, a knife, and our lives.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Atticus Finch: I remember when my daddy gave me that gun. He told me that I should never point it at anything in the house; and that he'd rather I'd shoot at tin cans in the backyard. But he said that sooner or later he supposed the temptation to go after birds would be too much, and that I could shoot all the blue jays I wanted - if I could hit 'em; but to remember it was a sin to kill a mockingbird.

Jem: Why?

Atticus Finch: Well, I reckon because mockingbirds don't do anything but make music for us to enjoy. They don't eat people's gardens, don't nest in the corncrib, they don't do one thing but just sing their hearts out for us.




I did buy Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightly (thanks Analee for introducing it to me a few years ago!) because that is one of my favorite movies. I've never read the book and although I would like to, I don't think I could get through it. I get lost in the conversation lines from the turn of the 19th century and the way they talk. The way they speak is romantic for sure, but it's not my forte. I LOVE the movie although other critics like the older version better. I just love the actors. But I'm lucky enough to have my own Mr. Darcy whom I call Lancelot of Camelot. (For reals, if you look his name up in my phone, that's exactly it). :)

Elizabeth Bennet: And that put paid to it. I wonder who first discovered the power of poetry in driving away love?

Mr. Darcy: I thought that poetry was the food of love.

Elizabeth Bennet: Of a fine stout love, it may. But if it is only a vague inclination I'm convinced one poor sonnet will kill it stone dead

Mr. Darcy: So what do you recommend to encourage affection?

Elizabeth Bennet: Dancing. Even if one's partner is barely tolerable.

2 comments:

analee hirschi said...

YEAH, i AM glad that you love the new Pride adn prejudice! BTW I am in town for a while. I would love to see you guys.... 410-2722

The Rich's said...

Becky I have a recomendation for you. It is not entirley girly. My husband gets a good laugh and can relate to some of the spousal realationships. I love it and thought of you and some other Twin Falls friends. My parents suggested to it to me. It is called Lark Rise to Candleford! Love the characters, very clean and so enjoyable. It is a series but I just can't wait for to watch the next disc through netflicks!