Tuesday, January 11, 2011

"Never Get Old"

Grandpa called the store today asking Dad and Joseph to give Grandma a priesthood blessing. They headed straight away to the house and from the sounds of it, Grandma was looking pretty rough. After they returned to the store Grandpa called and said Grandma got right up out of bed, got dressed, and wanted to go get her hair done.

I don't know if the terrible headaches are caused from her Alzheimer's or if its just old age. Grandpa said she's never had a headache in her life until she got Alzheimer's. Kind of perplexing. When Grandpa comes into the store I usually ask how Grandma is and he just gets sad and tells me the same story. "Oh she gets worse and worse everyday." He remembers when his Granddad had to care for his wife and how he would get so upset at her and wanted to divorce her. Grandpa couldn't figure out why Granddad just couldn't understand the disease, until his wife got Alzheimer's. Now he understands. He tries to be patient and not get upset but it's hard for him, he's turning 80 in a few weeks and it's like caring for a 2 year old. Grandma is only 74. She seems so young to me.

Grandpa still has energy/respiratory issues. About 6 months ago they headed to SLC to get his heart tested, Grandpa is quite convinced his heart is the cause of no energy. The tests were all normal. He finally got a cpap which helps when he keeps it on. He's always winded and has such low energy. Dad met with a Dietitian that specializes in Diabetes to help Grandpa get on a good diet but it doesn't seem to do much good.

There's a gal named Larue who comes to the house twice a week to help care for Grandma. She bathes her, cooks meals, cleans, whatever is needed. Her and Grandma became instant best friends which I think is so good for grandma.

Grandpa's advice to me is to never get old. Since I've never had anyone close to me die (only great grandparents) this whole decline in health is new and scary. I know they're getting older. I know it's the circle of life and I'll become like that some day too. It's just so hard to watch, it breaks my heart.

No comments: