Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Hockey Pucks and Death

I attempted for the first time ever, to make homemade rolls. I used Grandma Watson's recipe of Parker House Rolls. The directions seemed easy enough and having never before used yeast, I thought it would be a good learning experience. Well.....the rolls turned out like hockey pucks. Pretty hard outside, a few had soft middles but the consistency and taste was definitely more that of a biscuit. So, you're supposed to half each one with a dull knife and fold it over, then let rise and bake. While they were rising, the fold didn't hold and all but one came open. This is what they looked like.


With the left over dough I just plopped it in a pie plate and topped it with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. This was surprisingly yummy although it doesn't look it.
Donna came over later in the evening to show me how to work my sewing machine. She asked how dinner was and I showed her the huge mess in the kitchen. I told her I wasn't sure what I'd do with the 30 biscuit pucks we weren't going to eat and then a thought hit me! I could take Kimball down to the cemetery tomorrow where they have the pond and we could feed the ducks together. I voiced this out loud and Donna said, "Oh you don't want those poor ducks to die, do you?!"

1 comment:

Bonnie and Kempton Cox said...

Haha! This made me laugh out loud! It will just take some practice and you will get the hang of it. ;)