Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Reflections of (Brotherly) Love

Anybody who knows me knows that I loathe valentine's day. It's so cheesy and full of fluffy commercial crap. I (like many) think you should show your love every day of the year and not just on one particular day. My particular love day that I celebrate with Lance is our anniversary, that day we actually make a special effort for each other. We don't and never did celebrate those awkward anniversaries (two weeks since we've been dating! or three months since we first held hands!). Puuuuuulease people!

Speaking of love, my best valentines day was my junior or senior year (I can't remember which). Everybody knows that when my family moved to Twin it was very hard for me. I never remade friends, I became a total recluse, I never talked to anybody, etc. It was hard. But my brother Adam sent valentine flowers to me at school. It wasn't just one rose or one sunflower in a tiny bud vase, it was a huge bouquet of flowers! It meant to world to me. Of course I didn't expect anything for valentines day, Adam moved out right after he graduated. Which is why those flowers meant so much more to me. Now that I type this I just remembered that when I was about 12 or so, Adam again sent me flowers but this time it was roses. I remember I saved every last petal and put them in a mason jar and tied the card he sent with it, around the neck. Those dried petals sat on my dresser for years.

In high school in Twin I always parked at the seminary building and on multiple occasions I would find little notes on my windshield. During the time Joseph was delivering salt for the store, every now and then he'd stop by the seminary building and put a used receipt or return envelope for salt tickets in my windshield with a note just for me. I loved it. It made all the difference in the world and I still have them in a box.

The rest of the boys are pretty awesome too, but they never sent me flowers or an encouraging note.  :)  I love them anyway! All of my brothers have been my biggest protectors and my loudest teasers. Come on, they wouldn't be brothers if they didn't tease me would they?

No comments: