Friday, August 23, 2013

Latest Project

About a month ago I made the mistake of going into Joann's to get a spool of thread. That was it just a spool of thread. Of course I had to browse through all the flannel and baby prints and quickly had about 10 bolts overflowing in my cart. Oh boy, the hard task of narrowing it down! So I decided to make one little receiving blanket and the other a rag quilt. Never made a rag quilt before or any kind of blanket or quilt besides a receiving blanket.

Here's a picture of the receiving blanket: a funky colorful safari cotton print, pink and green polka dot flannel on the inside, with a blue decorative zig zag.
Now this is the rag quilt. The pink minky is the whole back, while the other four prints I used for the strips. I didn't use any batting or filling for the middle because I didn't want a bulky and heavy baby quit. I decided to cut it into strips instead of squares because it's much easier and less time consuming. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy-ish it was for my first quilt. Especially needing to have it finished before we moved so I could have mom's help.

Speaking of mom, I don't know why I didn't choose more projects like this a lot sooner. I loved spending this one on one time with her! It was relaxing and I loved learning from her. It made me that much more sad to leave her in the coming weeks. I love you so much mom and couldn't have made this without you!!!

Here's my fabric before we got started.
 These are the strips layed out so we knew what order we wanted and to ensure I had enough fabric. I had to go back for 21" more minky.

This is the finished project! I love how the pink minky shows through on the front. I'm so glad I didn't use any batting or warm n natural for the middle, the weight of the quilt is perfect. I alternated 3" and 6" strips to give it some variation.


 Nice photo bomb Charity!


 And this little baby bump is who the quilt is for. :) I was 23 weeks along.
This is a close up but I haven't washed the quilt yet to make it look raggy. It was just too soft and I have this smallish fear of ruining it if I wash it.

No comments: