Saturday, October 11, 2008

Best of Broadway

The traveling Best of Broadway was in town yesterday and Lance and I bought tickets to Sweeney Todd. I have not seen the movie or any version of the play, nor did I even know the story. Therefore I had no expectations whatsoever other than I was curious as to what version of the story they would be playing. (I read about it on Wikipedia so I'd know what was going on and wouldn't be playing 20 Questions with Lance during the show).

The show was fantastic! It was very interesting and unique in that there were only 10 cast members who not only were characters but also the orchestra. It was intriguing to see them play their instruments and sing and act and switch around the set all at the same time. Honestly, where did they find people this talented? And they didn't stick to just one instrument per character, they switched throughout the entire play from cello to viola to tuba to flute to drums to the oboe and so on. I don't think I've ever seen that much talent on stage at any one given time, it was absolutely phenomenal! I've definitely got to get the music, it was just so awesome! After having a lengthy discussion afterwards just to ensure I understood what was going on and who was who, I really want to go see it again, or the movie. I cannot say enough good things about it, it was spectacular! Or should I say spook-tacular!

No comments: