Friday, October 10, 2008

Scary Old Bag Lady or Chic?

When I got home this evening I realized I had finally admitted to myself that I have a shopping frenzy for something other than shoes. I admitted to myself many years ago that I was a shoe fanatic but this one snuck up and bit me on the heal. Confession: I have a problem with buying too many purses for my own use. Let me demonstrate with pictures.

Exhibit A: This is my current purse and it works for me because it has several pockets on the outside and in, and its also a neutral color. But can you see it's lifeless shape? And it isn't quite big enough to hold all of my things. Now, I don't like heavy purses so I really try to constrict what I carry around with me at all times. One necessity however is my camera, and on occasion an umbrella. See? Just dull and boring.

Exhibit B: When Lance's parents came to Charleston to visit us in March, we had to stop by the market because if I ever saw a shopaholic, that would be my sweet mother in-law. Which, works for me because I love the market and shopping altogether so she makes a perfect shopping buddy. I instantly fell in love for this rag quilt purse. It's raggedy you say? Well duh, it is a rag quilt purse but I like it because its unique with the different patches and patterns and there's so many Vera Bradley's out there (no offense, I love Vera Bradley) but this one was so unique, and my mother in-law must have seen my wanton eyes because she purchased it for me. Thanks again Donna!

Exhibit C: We went to a show in Myrtle Beach while Lance's parents were here and again, knowing Donna, we stopped at Broadway at the Beach to get our fill of shopping. When I saw this purse I instantly thought to myself, "Self, this purse is SO my mom! I should get it for Mothers Day. Come on, it's for a hip, young grandma of 8 and she will just die when she sees it!" Therefore, I purchased this purse, isn't it just so cute?! I love all the extra details like the stitching, the bow, all the vibrant colors, and it has little metal feet on the bottom that you can't see here. Well, I really love this purse and selfishness over came me. I decided to keep it for myself. In my defense, I haven't used it yet because I still might give it to my mom for Christmas. Maybe.

Exhibit D: A good friend of a good friend made this next purse for me. She was in town visiting our good friend so I was much obliged to meet her, especially after finding out that she made my good friend's purse. Is it horrible that I asked her to make one for me and I had just met her from out of town? I think I would probably fall under the "sketchy" category which I have since repented and must have been blessed because she did in fact make me this purse. It's reversible, and this dark bluish/teal has become my new favorite color. I love the colors and the vintage design (Amy Butler fabric by the way). I told her she seriously needs a blog or an eBay or Etsy account to sell these things because they are darling!
Exhibit E: Don't sit there and tell me this purse is not TO DIE FOR!! This one I definitely had no rhyme or reason to purchase because its a diaper bag and I don't eve have kids nor am I trying! I know I am SO lame but I love all the colors together. Notice, it also came with a make up/change/clutch sort of bag and one of those diaper changing pads/thingamajigs, whatever those are called. It has oodles of pockets inside and is actually much bigger than it looks. Confession, I did get this at the market as well, same booth as exhibit A. Another confession, not only have I given this purse designer lots of business but I bought one for my sister Christine and sister in-law, Trish. True, I don't see much of a paycheck and I can't say I help pay the bills too much because this purse designer has been given most of it. Gleefully, I'm going back to the market next week when my family comes and I'm desperately trying to have a little self discipline...but its so hard sometimes!

Exhibit F: Now these two purses I purchased today. You see, I had a few extra minutes on my lunch break and being the shoe gal that I am, decided to wander into Shoe Carnival. No of course I was smart enough not to indulge in a pair of shoes, but alas! I found this purse which coincidentally I have been eyeing for the past several months. Can you see the orange clearance sticker that says $16? I thought to myself nah, I don't want to see Lance's expression when he notices that I've bought yet, another handbag. But the lovely sales women pointed out the large sign above the rack that loudly declared CLEARANCE $5. Oh yes, $5 it is and knowing that Christmas is just around the corner, I purchased two of them. Two hand bags for $10? That my good friends, is a steal! I'm just waiting to see what Lance's expression will be when he finds out I not only bought one purse that I definitely don't need, but two.



This conclusion brings me to the question, am I ridiculously vain? Honestly, tell me what you think. Now, three of these pictured (even more sadly, they're not all pictured) I can give away as gifts. I know my sister in-laws very well and they'd be thrilled to receive them. But, there's a small selfish part of me that wants to hang on to them. Are purses like shoes, you can't have too many? Or am I completely over analyzing this altogether? You see some things like these last two purses that are identical, I didn't buy them just for the use of the merchandise. Bur rather, I really wanted the bargain. It thrills me inside when I have beat out the retail big whigs and I come home with a bag full of merchandise for only a tiny fraction of the price. Now that is satisfaction!

5 comments:

Jana Dille said...

I'm so the wrong person to be asking these questions to. So, are these ALL your purses? In my opinion you can never have too many purses. I probably have well, I won't say, but at least triple that if not more. I'm crazy for bags. I do work retail though. Good to know when I'm tired of one I'll give it to you!!

Becky said...

These are just the purses I have in Charleston, not to mention the box full that I have back home. Jana, I should have known you'd be in my favor!

*LaUrA* said...

hhhmmm...I think you have a problem...a lady on Oprah said the other day if you are just buying the bargain you are buying for the wrong reasons...BUT don't think I am coming down on YOU because I am the same way. If something is clearanced and just an incredible price I want to buy all of them thinking I will someday, somehow need to use whatever it is. I am getting better though...and have you noticed all your purses are basically the same color? I love all of them by the way.

Luckily I do not have a shoe or purse fetish. I stick with on bad until it falls apart and then I get another. I carry a mammoth bag that has a long strap that I can wear across my body...I ONLY like purses or bags I can wear that way...I like free hands and I HATE when purses fall off my shoulder when worn the "traditional" way.

However, I am not against any certain person...say...giving me a bag they don't want or use:)hee!hee! Your market sounds lovely...I want to come shop!

Oh...and since this comment is already too long I will keep going

My fetish is pajamas. In high school and early college I had drawers full of pajama pants. Well...I know longer indulge in this fetish for myself...but have now moved on to Carter. I want to buy him basically every pajama set I see and have to restrain myself. He does have quite the drawer full of pajamas...but pajamas are so comforting and cozy!

Okay...I will be quiet now...how was your sleepover!

Turok said...

wow...thats a lot of bags!! haha cute ones though...all i get to
arry around is a diaper bag :)

Turok said...

dang, thats a lot of bags! But consider yourself lucky, all i get to carry around is a diaper bag (haha) :)