Friday, October 3, 2008

Goals

Lance and I only have four weeks left until we move. Don't get me wrong, I'm not counting down by any means. But I am counting down the days until I get to quit my job. :) Our departure date is Nov. 3rd. Yes, I'm still very distraught and beside myself about leaving Charleston which is why I have certain goals that I'd like to accomplish before leaving. I mean, we're in the culture capitol of the country (in my opinion of all places I've visited/lived) and my only regret about leaving, are the "what ifs" or "why didn't we" of not taking more advantage of everything Charleston has to offer.

#1 We want to go to Myrtle Beach one last time. I want to stroll the little village streets of Broadway at the Beach, and I'd love to ride the paddle boats in the man-made lake (and possibly one more show? See goal #2).

#2 We want to go to one last show or concert. Being in a much larger city than Twin Falls we've had many opportunities to go to various shows, concerts, and plays. We've attended two broadway plays, two shows in Myrtle Beach, the Glen Beck Christmas Show, and several concerts of whom the singers are world renown i.e. Chanticleer, The Swingle Singers, The High Kings, etc. When we moved here we told ourselves that we'd make every sacrifice we could to attend as many shows as possible. In Twin Falls, we'd have to travel to SLC or Boise to go to a decent concert so we've definitely taken advantage of being closer to the arts. I've come to really fall in love with broadway plays. Given, we're not in NYC or London but there's a traveling group called the Best of Broadway that puts on shows in various cities. We've seen Evita (one of our favorites) and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat. Next week we're going to see the play Sweeney Todd and I can't wait!

#3 I want to fill our next house with all things Charleston so I'll always be reminded of the AWESOME friends we have here and the many, many things I've come to learn about Charleston and life in general. Therefore, I need to take many more trips to the market to do LOTS of shopping. (Now the real question is, where will I get money to do this)?

#4 One thing we definitely have not taken advantage of, is the beach. We're only 20 minutes away and we've gone swimming maybe twice this year? Pathetic! We have gone several times in the evening just to sit and talk with friends, so I'd like to take more of an opportunity of that while we're here and go at least five more times.

#5 With Lance's relatively new job as a carriage tour guide, he's gained so much knowledge about the history of Charleston and all the buildings downtown. Because he's permanently licensed, he and plus one (that would be me) gets into most everything for free. There are several other homes and plantations that we'd like to go through and see and learn as much as possible.

#6 One of our favorite things to do is ride the scooter downtown together at night and I'd like to go at least another five times. It's so relaxing! We like to leave about 11pm and walk along the battery or Colonial Lake. It's during this time that we've had some of the best conversations together. It's such a great reflective way to think of all we've been blessed with and ponder how good the Lord has been to us. Just to breathe in that salty ocean air and have the warm humidity and history around us is so invigorating!

#7 I'd like to go to the Biltmore Estate one last time. Even though this is a goal, my parents are coming to town the third week in October and we've already planned a second trip up to Asheville. It's the largest house in America and if any of you have not seen this place, it's an absolute MUST. So amazing!

#8 I'd like to do one last session in the Columbia, SC temple. It's been about two months since we quit working there and I'd really like to say good bye to all the wonderful friends we've made who live in GA, NC, and SC that travel to work in the temple. Truly their faith is amazing.

#9 Is not only a goal, it's a MUST. I must have one last girls night out. I love all the ladies in our ward who've become my best friends. Of all things I will miss of Charleston, it is them. They're my strength, my happiness, and my stress relievers.

#10 I love my calling in the young women's presidency, I love to teach. I am scheduled for one last lesson and I'm already preparing for it, it'll be a doosy. I will miss those girls so much, they're a blast!

Of course there are many more goals but this post is long enough. We just really love Charleston SO MUCH!! It breaks my heart just thinking about leaving and I won't say my good byes yet. I'm going to live up these last few weeks!

5 comments:

J-Babe said...

Sounds like a fun and long list, you better get going so you can meet all your goals!! I' am glad you found such great joy in that place.

Jaime said...

hey!! thanks so much for the comment! yeah i'm thrilled i'm done! i have to pack and clean the house that's been destroyed for 2 months with me cramming and throwing stuff all over the house, etc. So i'm excited!!! good luck to yall with school- where will yall be attending? and with what majors?

Jaime said...

hey i tried to write a message- i don't know if it worked or not, if not, then i had just written THANKS for the message and congratulations. i'm so glad to be done!!!! good luck to yall in school- where will you be going and with what majors??

Cassie said...

Hey Becky and Lance, this is Cassie Larsen, I married Rhett Larsen. Anyway, I hope you remember us. I'm sure Lance will remember Rhett. It'a kinda weird how we thought to find you two and am glad we did. Sara Egbert told us that you were moving back and Rhett seemed excited. Stay in touch and we hope to hear from you!

Anonymous said...

Wow, this was a really quality post. In theory I' d like to write like this too - taking time and actual effort to make a great article... but what can I say... I procrastinate alot and in no way appear to get something done.