Friday, November 23, 2012

Mother Of The Year

Incident #1: I was debating whether or not to blog about this because it was very traumatic for me. But I guess I should since this is my journal. About two weeks ago Lance had the day off and slept in while Kimball and I cleaned the house. Later that afternoon he was leaving the house to run a few errands and I remembered that I needed him to get something for me. So I went upstairs to get my phone to text him and a certain little somebody followed me. I grabbed my phone to text Lance and turned around to go back downstairs but Kimball was already 3/4 the way up the stairs. He noticed that I saw him and he thought he was being a big boy and so sneaky being on the stairs, he was quite proud of himself. At that moment he turned to look behind him and I saw the whole thing; he fell down the stairs. My heart stopped and I ran after him. It was too late.

Have you seen our stairs? They're hard, wooden, steep, hard, tall, steep, hard, and very steep. Of course Kimball cried but I cried even harder. I called Lance and blubbered out that Kimball fell down the stairs and Lance immediately came back home. Kimball had four or five really good bumps on his head and he quit crying by the time Lance got there. The guilt was too much, I couldn't quit crying. At all. I bawled all afternoon and teared up every time I looked at him. I still feel guilty and tear up when I think about it. Especially because what I remember most is the sound of his head hitting every surface of the steps and seeing his little body tumble over and over.

Incident #2: Today while we were visiting at Lance's parent's house I was feeding Kimball in the high chair. I found some Reese's Puffs in the cupboard and thought to myself, "Oh man, Kimball will love these!" I'm such an idiot. I gave them to him which he ate right up. And then broke out in hives. Stupid! I totally forgot about his allergy and he immediately broke out in hives. I never even thought about Reese's Puffs having peanut butter or nuts. What an idiot!!

Just a few mothering moments of shame I wish I could forget about.

3 comments:

Bonnie and Kempton Cox said...

Oh my gosh, I know this is terrible to say, but I could not stop laughing when I read this! I'm just glad to know that someone else out there has "bad mom" moments, too. Well, at least Kimball is tough. I think our kids will survive our parenting, in spite of the dumb things that we do.

*LaUrA* said...

If you have not had your kid fall down the stairs you most likely are not a parent. :) Carter fell down ours while I was also hosting a yard sale outside...so I had all these people trying to ask me how much stuff was while my baby was gushing blood from his head. Horrible moment...but that was not the last time Carter has knocked his head and pretty sure we still have more to come.


Tawni Williams said...

Oh Becky - I freaking love you - all moms have those experiences... My kids have ALL (unfortunately) had their moments... one was riding on the top of the supposedly sturdy safety gate... If there is anything I have learned as a parent is kids are much MUCH more tough than you think (thank heavens!!)